Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital 8 Camcorder recommendations for capturing purposes??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-23-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone

Here is the situation. I transfer lots of video to the computer to burn to DVD. Currently I can only transfer footage from MiniDV camcorders. I have a computer with a fire wire port on it and it works marvelously.

I would like to open up to 8MM camcorder and VHS as well.

So I was looking at getting a USED digital 8MM camcorder with fire wire capabilities, AND that can act as an A/V "bridge" to hook up the VCR to the camcorder (through AV wires) and transfer the signal via firewire.

Any ideads on a camera model?

Or a good place to get one for cheap?

Thanks all!
Old 10-23-04, 01:30 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I could have sworn I saw this post yesterday. Was it in a different forum?

I'm not sure this is the best one for this question though.
Old 10-23-04, 05:52 PM

How do you define "cheap"?

Do you want to use it as a camcorder as well, or do you just need it for a/v transfer?

If all you want is to transfer video, you might want to think about a bidirectional converters. This is a box that only transfers video and is cheaper than most camcorders.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

If you want a camcorder, Sony makes a $400 digital 8 camera that converts video. I have the following model and it works great for transfering video. This model works with both composite and s-video inputs.

It's also available at Wal-Mart.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=311399&is=REG

As for getting one used, used camera dealers may have some. However, these stores tend to price their used merchandise rather high.

/Benjamin

Last edited by btbrossard; 10-23-04 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-23-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by btbrossard
How do you define "cheap"?

Do you want to use it as a camcorder as well, or do you just need it for a/v transfer?

If all you want is to transfer video, you might want to think about a bidirectional converters. This is a box that only transfers video and is cheaper than most camcorders.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

If you want a camcorder, Sony makes a $400 digital 8 camera that converts video. I have the following model and it works great for transfering video. This model works with both composite and s-video inputs.

It's also available at Wal-Mart.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=311399&is=REG

As for getting one used, used camera dealers may have some. However, these stores tend to price their used merchandise rather high.

/Benjamin

Hey X!

If there is a better forum, please move it. I wasn't sure the best place for it myself

Benjamin

I was think about a converter box, but THEN I would have to buy an 8mm camcorder as well in adition to the box. If I can get a digital8 camcorder that has the capabilities of acting as a "bridge" to carry signals from VHS, and of coruse it would already play regular 8mm tapes in it and transfer them to the computer, it would be more beneficial to me

I don't need anything fancy. Sony seems to be what is reccomended though. Are they the only company that makes Digital8?

$400 is definitely to hight, which is why I am looking for something used, and maybe even on Ebay.

The model you own, can you hook your VCR up to the inputs, transfer the signal through the camera, through the fire wire cable and transfer it to the computer? (as a regular AVI format -13GB or so?)

Thanks so much!
Old 10-23-04, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Sominex
The model you own, can you hook your VCR up to the inputs, transfer the signal through the camera, through the fire wire cable and transfer it to the computer? (as a regular AVI format -13GB or so?)
Yes - that's how it works.

You can also capture that incoming analog image on the tape or record it onto the memory stick if you wanted to.

And of course, it plays old 8mm and Hi-8 tapes so you can transfer those to your computer.

15 minutes of captured video = about 3.2 GB

As far as I know Sony is the only company selling digital 8 camcorders. Sony sells a cheaper model (TRV-260, $327) that DOES NOT allow you to use it as a "bridge" from your vcr to your computer.

If you are going to buy one used, you NEED the accesories and cables. The camera comes with a special cable that connects your tv/vcr to the camera. Without this you will not be able to transfer video from the tv/vcr to the computer. If you want, I'll post a picture.

/Benjamin
Old 10-23-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I wouldn't buy a used digital 8 camera (or mini dv for that matter) because you have no idea what kind of abuse it's been put through.

But the canon mini-dv ZR series has digital passthrough (or at least, the older models did) and can be had for ~$300 new. That's what I use.
Old 11-12-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about a used TRV-520 for $200 ???

The one featured here:

here

A company on Ebay is offering me a used one for $200 plus shipping. It comes with the cap, strap, battery, charger and most importantly the AV input/output chord (to get VHS analog input to transfer to the PC)

Anyways. Does that sound like a deal to you guys?

I will very rarely EVER use this as a camcorder.. just for transferring 8MM, Hi8 and VHS tape to my computer

Let me know

and thanks for all the input!
Old 11-14-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by btbrossard
Yes - that's how it works.

You can also capture that incoming analog image on the tape or record it onto the memory stick if you wanted to.

If you are going to buy one used, you NEED the accesories and cables. The camera comes with a special cable that connects your tv/vcr to the camera. Without this you will not be able to transfer video from the tv/vcr to the computer. If you want, I'll post a picture.

/Benjamin

Could you please post a picture for me, thanks?
Old 11-14-04, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Sominex
Could you please post a picture for me, thanks?
Here is a photo of the cable -

The red/white/yellow cables connect to the video source and the mini jack connects to the camera.

Here is a photo of the jacks on the camera -

The top jack is for the special audio video cable. The two others are for firewire and usb.

There is also a connection on the front to hook up an s-video cable. It's under the black cap. You can hook up an s-video source here for better quality. You will still need to hook up the audio via the special cable.

If you'd like to look at the manual, you can find that here -

www.thebrossards.com/DCRTRV460.pdf

I've never used the camera you were talking about purchasing for $200, so I really couldn't offer any opinion on how it works. If it's in good condition, it seams like an OK price point.

/Benjamin