Reload this Page >

Need advice on buying a new laptop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-21-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so after 8 loyal years of service, I think it's finally time to retire my old laptop. Was pretty loaded when I first bought it in 1996 - Fujutsu LifeBook 535Tx with 80 megs RAM, 2 gig HD, Pentium 133 MHz. Served me well through college, but in the last 3 years or so I've mainly been using it for Microsoft Word/Excel.

However, now that I'm using it to surf the web while I'm on the road, it's just HORRIBLY INADEQUATE. Poor little bastard has trouble running just one open browser window - once I try to open a second, it's hit or miss. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't. Needless to say, this is a very frustrating experience.

So I was thinking of getting one of those new Dell Inspiron laptops. I have a Dell desktop at home, and while not without its problems, it's been pretty reliable. Those new 15" wide-screen screens look nice, and I like the option of having a CD/DVD burner drive.

Are there any other brands I should be looking at? Have heard mixed reviews on the Toshiba series; ditto with the Compaq series. The Sony VAIOs look nice, but they're pricey. I also think I'd rather sacrifice weight and size for a large-ish monitor, as this computer will be serving as a desktop replacement (mainly), and occasionally taken on the road. I'll be travelling a lot in this December/January, so will be bringing the new laptop around.
Old 10-21-04, 01:38 PM
Banned

I'd suggest going back in time a few days when they had $500 and $750 off coupons for the Inspiron's.

Or if that's infeasible, check gotapex.com every day. Dell seems to me making tons of huge coupons lately. Worth watching for the right price there.

Under no circumstances get a Sony or a Toshiba. I'm very unhappy with my last Toshiba. It works fine, but nowhere near what it should. And Sony just sucks in general.

If you don't mind weight though, Inspirons are great. They're heavy though. The high end ones can run up to 15 pounds or so.
Old 10-21-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know, just found out about those coupon codes (too late ) at Fatwallet.

I think one of the laptops that caught my eye, the Inspiron 8600, was around 7 lb - not too bad, IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestion to go to gotapex.com - never heard of them, but good to know! I'll keep an eye out for coupons.

Any reasons why Sony VAIOs suck?
Old 10-21-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They make you burn your own restore discs (10 of 'em)!
Old 10-21-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes! Anything else?