Reload this Page >

Opinions on Different Defrag Software?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-18-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the leading contenders are O&O, PerfectDisk, Diskeeper, and maybe Norton SpeedDisk? I've used all of them at one time or another, but I'm not up to date on the newest revisions. Anyone familiar with more than just the one they happen to use or know of some good analysis comparing them? I tried a bit of searching and mostly came up with arguments between people who were clearly biased, justifying what they used on their own machine, and bashing everyone else. That's pretty useless.

Personally, I'm running Windows 2000, but no need to limit the discussion to that.

Thanks.

das
Old 10-19-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used them all for laughs to see what "I liked best" and i've always kept coming back to goldenbow software's VoptXP defrag program ... probably because i'm used to it and it seems to work well. It's quick, graphical and has other options that make it nice to use.

I would think that most of those contenders you mentioned are good ... it really comes down to personal preference over style and visuals.
Old 10-19-04, 05:42 PM

I didn't care for diskkeeper much. It could have been a little more intuitive in the interface department. It also installed a service that ran all the time, I want something that only runs when I tell it to.
Old 10-19-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
What's the difference betweens XP'sor Windows 2000's own defrag program? I've used it for years with no problems.
Old 10-19-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The defrag utility that comes with Win2K/XP can't defrag certain files or the MFT. It also doesn't try to do anything to optimize placement of files based on how often you access them or anything like that. I believe some of the 3rd party utilities offer those features. Note that XP has a built-in feature where it will defrag and optimize file placement to reduce boot up times.

Personally, though, I'm of the opinion that the standard defrag utility run on a regular basis is all that any workstation needs.
Old 10-19-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
While different programs can do a better job defragmenting your hard drive, i'd say the performance impact is unnoticable to most people.
Old 10-20-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
While different programs can do a better job defragmenting your hard drive, i'd say the performance impact is unnoticable to most people.
.... for those people who aren't neglectful of their comps.

I helped a friend of mine clean up her comp and with all the crap programs and detritus hanging around by the time I was through with her comp it was something like 19% fragmented according to my VoptXp.

Ran the prog and it was running much, much smoother and faster. Obviously this is an extreme example and defragging isn't the sole savior of her situation. It was a combination of defragging after optimization and streamlining that made the most difference.
Old 10-20-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another good example of where a good defragmenter is necessary is video editing. The supplied defrag seems to only defragment files and leave them wherever they may lie. Other defraggers will move pieces out of the way to give you big chunks of contiguous space--which makes capturing video (without dropping frames) much easier.
Old 10-20-04, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by belboz
The defrag utility that comes with Win2K/XP can't defrag certain files or the MFT. It also doesn't try to do anything to optimize placement of files based on how often you access them or anything like that. I believe some of the 3rd party utilities offer those features. Note that XP has a built-in feature where it will defrag and optimize file placement to reduce boot up times.

Personally, though, I'm of the opinion that the standard defrag utility run on a regular basis is all that any workstation needs.
The defrag utility bundled with XP does make use of the Prefetch information to speed application load times and such. It tries to reduce all application load times, not just the boot apps, BTW.

Frankly, defrag with prefetch info will be better than most other utilities out there, even though it does take 2 frickin' days to defrag the drive.
Old 10-20-04, 09:58 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
What's the best FREE defrag software?
Old 10-20-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by bill_n_opus
.... for those people who aren't neglectful of their comps.

I helped a friend of mine clean up her comp and with all the crap programs and detritus hanging around by the time I was through with her comp it was something like 19% fragmented according to my VoptXp.

Ran the prog and it was running much, much smoother and faster. Obviously this is an extreme example and defragging isn't the sole savior of her situation. It was a combination of defragging after optimization and streamlining that made the most difference.
That's when you don't defrag at all. The point was that defragging regularly with Windows' own utility is perfectly fine and the difference between it and a 3rd party defragmenter will be virtually unnoticable to most.
Old 10-20-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Blotto
I didn't care for diskkeeper much. It could have been a little more intuitive in the interface department. It also installed a service that ran all the time, I want something that only runs when I tell it to.
I use it and it's not too bad. I know what you're saying about that dkservice.exe thing. I think it's probably used to monitor for the scheduled auto-defrags.
Old 10-21-04, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
That's when you don't defrag at all. The point was that defragging regularly with Windows' own utility is perfectly fine and the difference between it and a 3rd party defragmenter will be virtually unnoticable to most.
Yes, I was confirming what you just said when I quoted you. That people that are aware and put defragging to regular use will probably not notice a difference between software vendors.

I was just pointing out that those people (the majority of computer users I would say in my experience) still neglect their comps with regards to software abuse and lack of optimization/planning/maintenance.

These people would be the ones to benefit from such strategies.