Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Cool Browser trick for Movie Aficionados

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-23-04, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like reading movie sites. Invariably, one review will mention another movie and I have to open up a new browser, open up IMDB, enter the title in it's search and press enter. This has gotten tedious.

I went in search of a way to "one-click" a piece of text that is not currently linked and found something that works pretty good....but still need some help (read on)

Instructions (for IE)

1. Right click on your toolbar and make sure Links are checked. Also, unlock toolbar.
2. Drag the "IMDB" link on my web page at www.tmansmovie.info link onto your toolbar.
3. You should now have a new link button. If not, and you only have "Links >>", select the ">>" portion and you should see "IMDB". You can drag this "Links >>" (as long as you have unlocked your toolbar) up into the whitespace of your toolbar so IMDB will be a button instead of a dropdown.

Ok, now highlight a word on a web page (except mine! it doesn't work for some reason - try any page on dvdtalk) and press that IMDB "button" ...IMDB should come up with the results of the search of that word.

This is called bookmarktags or something like that, anyway, I don't know Java and have found that:

1) I'd like it to open up in a new window
2) Some pages (like my own www.tmansmovie.info) don't work for some odd reason. Anybody have an idea why? Is it because it's frame based? Or my web site doesn't allow java?

Anyone care to help me figure these two out?

This is really extensible...you can literally change the html in the java to be any URL that you want to call.

FYI: The Java code for IMDB is:

javascript:Qr=document.selection.createRange().text;if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Enter movie to find on IMDB:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='http://www.imdb.com/find?'+escape(Qr)+''

Google:

javascript:Qr=document.selection.createRange().text;if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Enter google search:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q='+escape(Qr)+''

Amazon:

javascript:Qr=document.selection.createRange().text;if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Enter amazon search:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dblended%26field-keywords%3D'+escape(Qr)+'%26store-name%3Dall-product-search/'+ ''

The easiest way I've seen to add new links is just to drag-drop any link into the links part of your toolbar and then right click, edit properities & paste the above.

Anyway, I'm sure this isn't new to some, but hopefully others will find it as useful as I do.
Old 09-24-04, 12:08 AM
Banned

That method is called a "bookmarklet", generally.

Personally, I dislike them. I type faster than using the mouse, so I used TweakUI to setup a search shortcut. I type "imdb whatever" in the address bar to search for stuff on imdb. Or "imdbq whatever" if I'm trying to remember a quote.

Firefox also supports something like this in the bookmarks. Look at the Quick Search bookmarks for examples.

The two strings you need:
Search everything: http://www.imdb.com/Find?select=All&for=%s
Search for quotes: http://www.imdb.com/Find?select=Quotes&for=%s

The Google Toolbar also has a "search for highlighted text" button that doesn't show by default, I think. Enable it, then highlight anything and click it and it searches google for whatever you highlighted.

Last edited by Otto; 09-24-04 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-24-04, 01:37 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

The easy way to do it in Firefox or Mozilla is to right click the search box you want to bookmark and select add a keyword for this search. That way you can access it from the address bar by typing the keyword and the search phrase, like "imdb some movie"
Old 09-24-04, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by duz
The easy way to do it in Firefox or Mozilla is to right click the search box you want to bookmark and select add a keyword for this search. That way you can access it from the address bar by typing the keyword and the search phrase, like "imdb some movie"

Actually, I don't think you even have to do the bookmark thing. For example, I can enter "imdb aliens" in the address bar (without quotes), and it will load the page for the requested movie at IMDB. Also works well with Amazon ("amazon star wars").
Old 09-27-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool.