Reload this Page >

Nomad Jukebox Zen USB 2.0 20G

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-29-04, 01:17 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a good deal on a Nomad MP3 player, the Jukebox Zen USB 2.0, 20 G model.
It was at a store and was the display model.

It looks like it came with all the accessories, except the AC adapter.

I just wanted to know what came with it, if someone has one and how they hold up for battery.

It came with the unit, quick start manual, usb cable, carrying case, headphones.

I picked up a universal ac adapter from radioshack to charge it up and test it out. I have 7 days until I can't return it anymore.

So far, it seems like a good player. I was able to transfer some songs and it does sound pretty good. I like the navigation menus and such. Though I don't like that there isn't a stop button to stop the current song playing.

I ordered an official ac adapter from the creative site and should have that soon and then I can return the one to radio shack.

I played with it about an hour after it was fully charged and was still showing a full charge.

How long does a full charge last.

I got the unit for $50, which I thought was pretty good since the list price of a new unit is $300.

The unit is in good shape. Just has some sticker residue on it which I should be able to use some goof-off to remove.
Its not dented and doesn't appear to have been abused while it was on display.
Old 08-29-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 481 Likes on 346 Posts
that's a great price. I don't know how you could return for that price, unless it is broken.
Old 08-29-04, 01:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since it was a floor model the manager that rang it up said I have 7 days to return it for a refund.

I was a bit leary as there was no ac adapter and no way for me to test it before buying it. But with the week to return it and finding an ac adapter at radio shack that works, I'm glad I bought it. It seems to be working out great.

Heck, even if it was broke, I could probably sell it on ebay as is for more then I paid.
Old 08-29-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I got the 20 gig Firewire model, which was released about the time the USB 2.0 one came out. Mine came with all you mentioned, but also an AC adapter.

$50 sounds like a steal. Nice find!

Here's how to stop a song:
press play/pause and then press down (
Old 08-29-04, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think with the original usb model, you can charge it albeit very slowly with the usb cable. I have a Zen Xtra and am very happy with it.
Old 08-29-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a good primer on getting the most out of the Nomad. I found this link on the forums that DJLinus was kind enough to link to.

It also looks like you can download a free copy of the Notmad Explorer with less functionality. I've heard good things about this program and will probably try it out tomorrow.