Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows won't load after SP2 install

Old 08-26-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Windows won't load after SP2 install

My cousin installed SP2 this morning, and now Windows won't load. I tried to boot into safe mode, still doesn't work. When he turns on the computer, it goes to the windows loading screen, it will begin loading, and then reboot on its own, and just do that in a loop. Before he installed SP2, his computer had many problems, mainly spyware related is my guess. Constant pop-ups that ad-aware and spybot could not fix. It was really annoying him, so I constantly suggested that he just back up important files and do a clean reinstall. He kept putting it off, and now he can't even get into windows. So onto my question: he finally decided to do a clean install of windows, but before he does that, is there a way to back up files on his computer? Mainly word files and homework stuff.

Oh yeah, he's using XP Home.
Old 08-26-04, 01:01 AM
X
Administrator

He could do a new install of XP over the old one without formatting.
Old 08-26-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X
He could do a new install of XP over the old one without formatting.
Heh, now that you mention it, I realize we could've done that all along. Just never popped into my head. Thanks for pointing that out, X.

One more thing: he can't find his windows install cd. My brother and girlfriend each have WinXP Home cds from their laptops, one from Dell, the other from Gateway. Does anybody know if these cds come with Dell/Gateway specific stuff? Or can I just use one of those cds and use his product key to do the reinstall?
Old 08-26-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

AFAIK, you need special serials for Dell OS installs. The serial/key is bios specific so you can't just install any ole XP Home edition. It has to be Dell-specific.

I'm not sure about Gateway, but I think it's the same thing.
Old 08-26-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
AFAIK, you need special serials for Dell OS installs. The serial/key is bios specific so you can't just install any ole XP Home edition. It has to be Dell-specific.

I'm not sure about Gateway, but I think it's the same thing.
So since my cousin's PC isn't a Dell or Gateway (I think its called VPR Matrix of something, he got it at BestBuy a few years back), I shouldn't use the cds that came with a Dell/Gateway?
Old 08-26-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eatntae
So since my cousin's PC isn't a Dell or Gateway (I think its called VPR Matrix of something, he got it at BestBuy a few years back), I shouldn't use the cds that came with a Dell/Gateway?
It isn't that you shouldn't use the CD's from Dell, it is a fact is you CAN'T use Dell CD on a non-Dell system, it won't let you install Windows. The Dells are Dell Specific, they will check to see if it is an authentic Dell system you are trying to install Windows onto. I had a a way for it to bypass the check but who who's where the file is now.

I am not sure about how Gateway does their CD's but I bought a refurbished laptop about 3 years ago and I received the actual Windows 98 CD.

On your cousin's PC, boot up with a Windows 98 floppy and access the C:\ drive and look for a "i386" folder. If found run Setup from there.

Try these steps:
How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-26-04 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you have an A4Tech USB Mouse?
Do you have xp-AntiSpy installed?
Do you have either of these processors installed?
AMD Athlon 64, AMD Sempron (mobile), AMD Opteron, or Intel Itanium processor
Old 08-26-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Programs the Don't work with SP2
Old 08-26-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
SUNY Buffalo is recommending NOT installing SP2. their setup software is even disabling the automatic download of sp2 for something like 120 days
Old 08-26-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Do you have an A4Tech USB Mouse?
Do you have xp-AntiSpy installed?
Do you have either of these processors installed?
AMD Athlon 64, AMD Sempron (mobile), AMD Opteron, or Intel Itanium processor
1) No
2) Not sure, I'll have to check with my cousin.
3) No

Thanks to everybody for all the input so far. I won't be able to help him with his computer until tomorrow, so when that time comes, I'll report back if any more problems occur.
Old 08-27-04, 02:05 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to hold off on installing this, looks like there are too many associated problems. My question is, do the pro outweight the cons?
Old 08-27-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fok
I'm going to hold off on installing this, looks like there are too many associated problems. My question is, do the pro outweight the cons?

Depends who you talk to, I tend to think that it depends on system configuration and how clean the system is BEFORE the install.

It must be installed on a clean system(ie no viruses, trojans, spyware, parasites etc...,) and disabling the theme managers, boot managers, custom bootscreens and NOT having any uncessary programs running in the background.
Old 08-27-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The pros definitely outweigh the cons--in my case that is. I've installed v.2149 (beta) and had no problems and installed the official release with no problems either.

Unfortunately, some companies have not updated their drivers and especially their "check for updates" features.
Old 08-27-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, good news and bad news.

The good news is that we were able to find his system restore cds.

The bad news is that I can't figure out how to configure his machine to boot from the DVD drive. He has a Pioneer DVD-ROM and a Pioneer DVD-RW (not sure of model numbers). During the BIOS post, it appears that the two disc drives are not even recognized. I entered the BIOS setup to try to change the order of the boot drives, but I didn't see any cdrom/dvdrom drive listed. There was only his hard drive, "removable dev.", and something else (I don't remember, but I'm sure it wasn't a disc drive). I opened up the machine, checked to see if everything was plugged in correctly, checked the jumpers on the drives, and it still wouldn't work. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-04, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, good news and bad news.

The good news is that we were able to find his system restore cds.

The bad news is that I can't figure out how to configure his machine to boot from the DVD drive. He has a Pioneer DVD-ROM and a Pioneer DVD-RW (not sure of model numbers). During the BIOS post, it appears that the two disc drives are not even recognized. I entered the BIOS setup to try to change the order of the boot drives, but I didn't see any cdrom/dvdrom drive listed. There was only his hard drive, "removable dev.", and something else (I don't remember, but I'm sure it wasn't a disc drive). I opened up the machine, checked to see if everything was plugged in correctly, checked the jumpers on the drives, and it still wouldn't work. Any ideas?
Make sure you backup your data. The restore discs may format the drive and install everything like when you originally bought the PC.
Old 08-28-04, 11:20 AM
X
Administrator

Make it "removable device" for the first drive. The DVD drives are detected during the boot and may not explicitly show up in the BIOS.
Old 08-28-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X
Make it "removable device" for the first drive. The DVD drives are detected during the boot and may not explicitly show up in the BIOS.
I tried that last night, and it didn't work either. 68ShelbyGT500KR suggested earlier to use a Windows 98 floppy, but I don't have one. I tried Google, came upon www.bootdisk.com, but I don't know what to download, let alone what to do with it.
Old 08-29-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is the make/model number of the problem PC?
Old 08-29-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
What is the make/model number of the problem PC?
vpr Matrix 2250

It originally came with a Lite-On CD-RW and a Lite-On DVD-ROM, but they were replaced with a Pioneer DVD-ROM and a Pioneer DVD-RW.
Old 08-29-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

vpr Matrix 2250

It originally came with a Lite-On CD-RW and a Lite-On DVD-ROM, but they were replaced with a Pioneer DVD-ROM and a Pioneer DVD-RW.
How is your current IDE cabeling?

Primary Master-harrdrive
Primary Slave-?
Secondary master=?
Secondary Slave=?

Just a suggestion, if you still have a CD-ROM, take out both DVD-ROM/-RW's and either put the Primary Slave (middle connection) with the hard drive and make sure the jumper is marked for Slave.
or i
Take out the RW and place the DVD-ROM in the Secondary master with the jumper in the master position

Then Go to the BIOS and make sure it is set to boot from CD. Make sure you save your changes before exiting!
Have the Windows Disc in the Drive before booting.