Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Questions on Lotus Notes & Act!

Old 08-25-04, 02:01 PM
Stealth Moderator

Lotus Notes questions

A company that I might work for uses Lotus Notes and Act! Lotus Notes seems like a product similar to Microsoft Outlook; is that correct? What is Act!

Also, if I know Outlook well, could I learn Notes in a few minutes? What's the learning curve on Act!?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure what Act! is, but Lotus Notes is nothing like Outlook. Coming from Outlook, some of Notes' mail features will seem downright antiquated. But Mail/Calendaring/Scheduling is only a small part of what Notes is. There's this whole database thing to it...

Companies that are heavy into Notes have all their little applications created as databases that you access through Notes. Want to request access to a certain lab? Open the Lab Request database through notes and submit a request. Want to keep track of the minutes of your weekly meetings? Store them in a discussion database, accessable through notes. etc...

If all you are going to be doing is just reading and sending mail with Notes, it's pretty easy. But if you have to do anything else, (like designing Notes applications) it can get complicating very quickly.
Old 08-25-04, 02:38 PM
Stealth Moderator

Thanks. Yeah, I'll be just an end user, but I'm sure Notes won't be anything I'd have to worry about.

Anyone know abot Act! ?
Old 08-25-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I remember correctly, ACT! is mainly a contact database program.
Old 08-25-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My current job, thankfully, doesn't use LN. Haven't worked with ACT! but Lotus Notes (or Bogus Notes as we called it) was seriously the worst email/groupware/PIM program I've ever used.

It is not intuitive, keyboard shortcuts are few and far between, formatting is awful, etc. Coming from an Outlook environment made Bogus Notes seem like a program from the 80's.

Worst part was you couldn't check your email unless it was on your own specific laptop - couldn't use someone else's laptop, or a public computer to check the email... Odd to me. Outlook has Webmail... I'm not sure if LN has a webmail-type-tool now, but my old firm never employed that feature.

Overall the program is slow and freezes/crashes all the time. Replicating databases are SLOOOOOW too. I just shudder thinking about the damn thing!
Old 08-25-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It makes me sad when people badmouth Notes. Sure, it doesn't have all the whiz-bang features of newer mail clients, and yeah, if you run it on old hardware, it will be sloooooow, but it really does have a lot of neat features, and it does way more than Outlook could ever dream of doing.

And oh yeah, webmail has been available for a couple of years now.
Old 08-25-04, 05:58 PM

Yes, Lotus Notes is truly horrible. We use it at work. And you have to bring your ID file to the actual machine you want to check your email on..............
Old 08-25-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jonjj7
Yes, Lotus Notes is truly horrible. We use it at work. And you have to bring your ID file to the actual machine you want to check your email on..............
Not exactly true, you can place the ID file on a shared network drive (the ID file is encrypted), or use INotes, and there is the ability to do roaming users (although I gather few people do the roaming user thing).

I just moved to the Email team in my company a couple of months ago to be a Domino (Lotus Notes) & BlackBerry Admin.

And yes, most places that use Notes heavily utilize the application/database aspects of it. I've never used Outlook Express/Exchange so I can't really compare. Notes definitely has some bad aspects, but most software does.

A key feature of Domino databases is ability to replicate, etc.

As I understand it, if your company has their Notes servers setup for Pop, you could still utilize Outlook and have it pull your mail from your Notes mail file (but again, I have not tried that and don't know specifics of that)

I'm still learning quite a bit as I have done OpenVMS System Mgmt for the last 12 years, so this is truly a change.

Last edited by sniper308; 08-25-04 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk God

we recently switched from notes to outlook
and personally.. i cant stand outlook.. big POS in my opinion

i definitly prefered notes.. and the fact that we had 500+ databases in notes that were all integrated well.. and now we have to find other applications to replace each of those..
talk about a major pain in the ass

of course.. my view is coming from 5 years in tech support.. and the past year as a systems admin/network engineer.

from an end user point of view.......

our users still bitch and moan about moving off notes.. because everything is integrated so much better there..

of course.. end users bitch about everything.. so thats not the best basis