Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Reparing WinXP installation?

Old 08-25-04, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Reparing WinXP installation?

My PC recently died. Before windows starts, it says something is messed up and I should boot from the XP CD and press R when it asks to repair my system. Well I do that, and now all I get is a D:Windows> prompt. So, what do I do now?
Old 08-25-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Google turns up quite a bit of info

You may need to set your boot drive to be your CD/DVD ROM drive.

Sonic
Old 08-25-04, 02:21 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Reparing WinXP installation?

Originally posted by necros
My PC recently died. Before windows starts, it says something is messed up and I should boot from the XP CD and press R when it asks to repair my system. Well I do that, and now all I get is a D:Windows> prompt. So, what do I do now?
You have entered the XP Recovery Console. It is unlikely you will be able to fix the problem from there unless you really know what you are doing (and even then it is doubtful). What you really want is to do a repair installation, which will keep all of your apps and settings intact. To do this, you DO NOT press R the first time it asks you to do so. Instead, proceed into the installation a little farther, and it will ask you again to press R if you would like to repair your XP installation. This is what you want. See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm for more info, including more detailed steps for this.
Old 08-25-04, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the link, I found his page from google and tried his method, but when I get to the point where it's time to install, it doesn't ask to repair. Acording to his site that means I'm SOL. Oh well guess it's time to reformat... again. All this stuff started happening after running Adaware and rebooting, so all i can think of is I had a piece of spyware attached to something and when Adaware caught it it screwed something up

I love my Mac, btw!
Old 08-25-04, 02:40 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link, I found his page from google and tried his method, but when I get to the point where it's time to install, it doesn't ask to repair. Acording to his site that means I'm SOL. Oh well guess it's time to reformat... again. All this stuff started happening after running Adaware and rebooting, so all i can think of is I had a piece of spyware attached to something and when Adaware caught it it screwed something up

I love my Mac, btw!
Did you try the options listed under the Warning #2 that might get you the Repair option back?
Old 08-25-04, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Yeah thats where it said I need to do a clean install. I have a 2nd hard drive in there that's got all my important stuff on that and when I boot to dos I can see everything is still intact so it's prolly just gonna be easiest to do a wipe/reinstall on my main drive. I use my Mac for everything now so I just need my PC for a couple of apps that I rarely use but still need from time to time
Old 08-25-04, 03:43 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah thats where it said I need to do a clean install.
Yes, but immediately below that it also lists 3 ways it might be possible to get a repair option. The first two would be very quick and easy to try. The 3rd is a linked article "Windows XP Crashed?" by Charles White that is more involved but still worth a shot if the other 2 don't work.
Old 08-25-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What exactly does Windows say is messed up when it is booting? Any text that you can copy/write down and provide here? Does it get to the point of where the desktop wants to load?
If you are receiving the D:\Windows prompt, then what is on the C:\drive?

Try to boot into safe mode and see if Windows gives you a error message.
Old 08-25-04, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Well first it says:

Invalid Boot.ini
booting from c:\windows

It always used to do that after I first started using Adaware about 2 months ago, and right after it the windows loading screen would come on and all would be well

But now instead of windows starting it says:

Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
c:\windows\system32\config\system

Then it tells me to use my XP CD and select R at the beginning... I tried booting to dos and looking around in the CD contents for that file but couldn't find it, I checked in the i386 folder and all
Old 08-25-04, 07:29 PM

When I get that error, I found some success with this

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307545
Old 08-25-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by spankasmurf
When I get that error, I found some success with this

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307545
This link should work for you, you have a corrupt registry. A repair doesn't necessarliy fix the registry. The recovery Console is the way to do it correctly.