Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about DVD R/RW formats

Old 08-24-04, 09:43 PM

Question about DVD R/RW formats

I am planning on buying a new Dell sometime in the near future, and one of the reasons is for video editing and DVD burning. I know there are several formats (DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW) and the DVD burner drives that can come custom built into the Dells are only DVD+R/RW. Another option I have is to buy and install myself one of the multiformat DVD burner drives.

My question to the forum is: is the second option worth it? Do I really need both formats? Are there advantages to one format over the others? Most of the DVDs I burn will be home movies to be played on a handful of DVD players.

Any advice or explanation regarding the different formats is appreciated. Or at least a link to somewhere where I can get this kind of info.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Highly recommend this site: http://www.videohelp.com

There was a thought that one format would win out over the other. With dual-layered discs on the horizon, I don't see that happening.

Strictly from my own personal experience, -R is a bit more compatable with a broad range of DVD players. Especially older ones. That's about the only major advantage right now (+R used to have a speed advantage at the lower range: 2.4x vs. 2x).
Old 08-25-04, 08:27 AM

What's the cost of upgrading to a DVD+R drive in a Dell? You can usually buy a DVD+/-RW +DL drive for under $100. I have a dual format and it's nice cause then I can burn any disc I want, I don't have to specifically use one type or another. This way if a deal comes up on DVDs I know I can use them, I don't have to worry about + or -
Old 08-26-04, 06:30 PM

Actually, Dell has a special now with a free DVD burner upgrade, so it almost pays to get that. Im going to check out that site though (thanks Chew) before I do anything.