Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

LCD as TV question

Old 08-23-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LCD as TV question

If I have an LCD monitor that just has a VGA input and I buy a VGA to RCA cable will the LCD be able to display NTSC video source...like a dvd player, directTV ect..

thanks
Old 08-23-04, 02:39 PM
X
Administrator

There isn't such a thing as a VGA to RCA cable, at least one that will convert VGA output to composite.. But an LCD will work if you can get the proper signal to it.
Old 08-23-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was looking at something like this

Old 08-23-04, 06:10 PM
X
Administrator

That looks like some kind of adapter that looks like a VGA and might work on a VGA connector but also requires that some of the pins on the VGA card are dedicated to the s-video and composite signals. I don't know of a video card that does that myself.

You don't just rewire standard VGA to be composite. You have to go through conversion circuitry like that contained in a cheese box.
Old 08-23-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X
That looks like some kind of adapter that looks like a VGA and might work on a VGA connector but also requires that some of the pins on the VGA card are dedicated to the s-video and composite signals. I don't know of a video card that does that myself.

You don't just rewire standard VGA to be composite. You have to go through conversion circuitry like that contained in a cheese box.
Thanks X, after further investigation that adapter can go with some dell laptops that have that feature built into
Old 08-23-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this got me thinking... how much would it cost to put together an LCD + converter that would let you watch NTSC video sources on an LCD monitor? I'm talking cheap 15 inch LCD. I ask becuase I recently purchased a 13 inch Toshiba tube tv for my kitchen ledge that is hooked to the monitor out of my TV (composite) but would love to switch it for an LCD if it can be done cheaply enough. thanks!
Old 08-23-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BobDole42
this got me thinking... how much would it cost to put together an LCD + converter that would let you watch NTSC video sources on an LCD monitor? I'm talking cheap 15 inch LCD. I ask becuase I recently purchased a 13 inch Toshiba tube tv for my kitchen ledge that is hooked to the monitor out of my TV (composite) but would love to switch it for an LCD if it can be done cheaply enough. thanks!
im all ears
Old 08-23-04, 08:55 PM
X
Administrator

There are tuners such as this one

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product_ju...mp&dcaid=17260

that will do that.
Old 08-23-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X,
the cheese box you posted looks like it would be perfect for me. I don't need a tuner, just a composite input. I guess I just need a super cheap LCD. Do you think it would be possible to put it together for ~200? Since TV is so low-res, would a cheapo LCD perform acceptably? thanks!
Old 08-23-04, 10:57 PM

Will a computer monitor/LCD display 480p output from a DVD player using something like this?
Old 08-23-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't even need 480p. I have my HD/DVD signals going straight to my TV (mits 55 inch WS). But, I also have composite outputs from all the devices going to my cheapo Tosh tv.
Old 08-23-04, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by BobDole42
I don't even need 480p. I have my HD/DVD signals going straight to my TV (mits 55 inch WS). But, I also have composite outputs from all the devices going to my cheapo Tosh tv.
But aren't those devices made to accept those video sources? I'd like to know if a typical computer display can take progressive signals (480p/720p) using the adapter above since most monitors and LCD displays already support a wide range of frequencies/resolutions.

I have a spare 19" monitor that I'd like to connect to my progressive DVD player I picked up on the cheap for home office viewing if the above method works.
Old 08-24-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a dell 19" LCD that has 4 inputs (VGA, DVI, Composite, SVideo) with an HD box from my cable company hooked up to it thorugh Svideo. Yeah it's downconverted a bit, but still looks fine, and I get my HD channels with it