Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Not recognizing a CD in my drive.

Old 08-23-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not recognizing a CD in my drive.

When I insert a CD, no applications (explorer, EAC, Media Player, Winamp) recognize that thre is a CD is my drive.

I go to Control Panel - System - Device Manager and the CD-ROM seems to be OK. I even went and tried to update the driver and Windows said I had the latest one.

It "seems" that WinME is recognizing the device, but not the CD in the device.

Any suggestions.
Old 08-23-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Not recognizing a CD in my drive.

Originally posted by That'sAllFolks
When I insert a CD, no applications (explorer, EAC, Media Player, Winamp) recognize that thre is a CD is my drive.

I go to Control Panel - System - Device Manager and the CD-ROM seems to be OK. I even went and tried to update the driver and Windows said I had the latest one.

It "seems" that WinME is recognizing the device, but not the CD in the device.

Any suggestions.
EDITED:
Choose the Device Manager tab.
Open the CD-ROM branch, and select the entry for your CD-ROM drive.
Click Properties, and then choose the Settings tab.
Turn on the Auto insert notification option.
Click OK, and then OK again. You'll have to restart Windows for this change to take effect

Or you can try

If you can see the cd rom in "Windows Explorer", then right click on the CD-ROM and select Properties and see if there is an "autoPlay" option.
(I didn't know if you meant Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer)

If I am not mistaken, TweakUI has an autoplay option. I don't know what version of TweakUi is good for Win ME, but I would assume version 1.33

Are these audio CD's or Program CD's? etc...

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-23-04 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 02:17 AM

Re: Re: Not recognizing a CD in my drive.

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
EDITED:
Choose the Device Manager tab.
Open the CD-ROM branch, and select the entry for your CD-ROM drive.
Click Properties, and then choose the Settings tab.
Turn on the Auto insert notification option.
Click OK, and then OK again. You'll have to restart Windows for this change to take effect

Or you can try

If you can see the cd rom in "Windows Explorer", then right click on the CD-ROM and select Properties and see if there is an "autoPlay" option.
(I didn't know if you meant Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer)

If I am not mistaken, TweakUI has an autoplay option. I don't know what version of TweakUi is good for Win ME, but I would assume version 1.33

Are these audio CD's or Program CD's? etc...
the auto insert notficatiion was already checked. There was no autoPlay feature on the properties menu.

I meant Windows Explorer. The icon shows up so the system seems to recognize it, but it ALWAYS shows that there is nothing there. It says please insert a disk.

Now this is strange. I put a CD of burnt images in the drive and it recognized the CD. I was even able to view the images on the disc ok. When I put back in an audio CD, I click on the drive from Win Expl and it tells me to insert a disc in drive D.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Old 08-24-04, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Not recognizing a CD in my drive.

the auto insert notficatiion was already checked. There was no autoPlay feature on the properties menu.

When I put back in an audio CD, I click on the drive from Win Expl and it tells me to insert a disc in drive D.

The "audio cd" that you put in the CD-ROM, is it a retail cd or one that you burned to CD-R?

If it is burned CD, what format are file files in? MP3 or standard audio format(holds about 10 songs)?
If it is a burned CD-R, then did you finalize the CD in the burning program?

Also, you can try to access the cd drive at the command prompt.
I never used Win ME but you can try Start>Run>Cmd or
Start>Run>command>

At the Prompt type:

D: (or whatever your cd-rom letter is)

and type dir

see if it shows some files cda or mp3

Type exit when done

Curiouser and curiouser.
Old 08-24-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Not recognizing a CD in my drive.

Now this is strange. I put a CD of burnt images in the drive and it recognized the CD. I was even able to view the images on the disc ok. When I put back in an audio CD, I click on the drive from Win Expl and it tells me to insert a disc in drive D.

Curiouser and curiouser.
The "audio cd" that you put in the CD-ROM, is it a retail cd or one that you burned to CD-R?

If it is burned CD, what format are file files in? MP3 or standard audio format(holds about 10 songs)?

Start>Run>command>

At the Prompt type:

and type dir

Type exit when done

Also put the cd-r in the burner to see if it is the CD Drive that is faulty
Old 08-24-04, 08:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not recognizing a CD in my drive.

Start>Run>command>

At the Prompt type:

and type dir

Type exit when done

Also put the cd-r in the burner to see if it is the CD Drive that is faulty
No, these are all store bought CDs. I reapeated the command with the CD-r and the audio CD. I got the same results. I have used Windows Explorer before to look at audio CDs and they show Track 1, track 2, etc. of wave files. I don't understand why I would not be able to explore audio CDs, but would data CDs. IT seems Win Expl would see both the SAME.

I don't have a burner on this computer. These were made with my other computer and I just never got around to putting the burner from the old computer into this one.

This one has me stumped.
Old 08-24-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just to make sure, you do have the audio cable firmly connected from the CD-ROM and to the motherboard? (if you have been inside your case you may have accidently pulled the audio cable out). Make sure you are gounded and NO power is going through the PC

If the audio cable is still connected, Then maybe you have a bad or corrupted audio driver... Try the following:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Multimedia.
2. Click the Devices tab, double-click the Media Control Devices branch to expand it, click CD Audio Device (Media Control), and then click Properties.
3. Click Remove, click Yes when you are prompted to remove the device, click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer.
4. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add New Hardware.
5. Click Next, click Next, click No, I want to select the hardware from a list, click Sound, video, and game controllers, and then click Next.
6. In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft MCI, in the Models box, click CD Audio Device (Media Control), click Next, click Finish, and then click Yes.
7. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
8. Click the Device Manager tab, double-click the CDROM branch to expand it, and then click the CD-ROM drive.
9. Click Properties, click the Settings tab, click to clear the DMA check box, click OK, and then click OK.

Lastly, on your data cd's, do you have any wav, mp3 (or any other audio file), movie with sound etc?? If you do, will the "sound file" play?
Old 08-25-04, 06:11 AM
Cool New Member

How many different audio CDs have you tried? Have you been able to play some of them in the computer before? I'm wondering if they might have some kind of copy protection that causes problems for the computer.

Kind of a long shot, but ...

James
Old 08-25-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JamesJ
How many different audio CDs have you tried? Have you been able to play some of them in the computer before? I'm wondering if they might have some kind of copy protection that causes problems for the computer.

Kind of a long shot, but ...

James
He already answered those questions on his post dated 08-24-04 08:53 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 09:15 PM

Well I was going to follow your directions, but there was not mulitmedia icon in the control panel. I then decided to find a CD-r and run a multimedia file directly from the CD-r. Seemed to work ok, but while I was testing this in several files, ti suddently said that the device was unavailable and I forget why but I reobooted. The D drive was GONE.

So I went through the procedures to add new hardware and the dirve came back after the reboot. I tried to play a CD and it acted like it couldn't read it very well. I re-read instructions and saw I forgot to clear the DMA boz, so I did that and re-booted. Pulled up Media player and seemed to play CD OK for a bit, then acted like it was having read errors. Now I'm back to the same problem of it not recognizeing it.

Ended up rebooting AGAIN and it is NOW playing OK ...

Thanks for you help.
Old 08-25-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What model and make is your CD-R drive.

This sounds odd, but you may have to reset your bios on your motherboard--but don't do this just yet.
Old 08-26-04, 02:30 AM
Cool New Member

He already answered those questions on his post dated 08-24-04 08:53 AM.
Not that I can see. He didn't say how many CDs, how old they were or whether or not he had looked at any of these specific CDs before.

However, given his later message, it sounds like he has (or had) a hardware problem. Maybe just a loose cable or something, or maybe a failing CD-ROM drive or IDE port.

To That'sAllFolks,

If the drive starts acting up again, I'd suggest you try swapping hardware around.

Do you have another CD-ROM drive (maybe in that old computer you mentioned) that you can try in this system, or maybe the CD-RW? And you could try this CD-ROM drive in the old computer.

James
Old 10-20-04, 01:35 AM

This is happening again. I went through the procedure for deleting/adding the drive back to WinME and it started recognizing it, but now it is Slooowwwwwing my system down and I'm starting to get blue screens when I access the drive. It seems to work OK for a little bit (like 20 seconds) and then starts causing problems in Windows Explorer, Winamp or Windows Media Player (whichever I seem to be using at the time).

Is this just a bad drive???????
Old 10-20-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's just a bad CD drive. maybe the laser that reads the CDs is going bad or something.
Old 10-20-04, 08:25 PM
Cool New Member

Like I said before, I'd suggest swapping some hardware around if possible. If you've got another IDE cable and/or CD drive, you could try one or both of those in this system. Or try this CD drive in another system.

James