Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless Internet on a PDA?

Old 08-21-04, 03:14 PM

Wireless Internet on a PDA?

I did a search, but couldn't find the information I wanted. I have a Dell Axim X5 and would like to be able to access the internet wirelessly. I'm not interested in hotspots or simply connecting to my home network. I would like to be able to connect to the internet from anywhere in the 48 states, and I'd like to do it without connecting my cell phone. I'm ignorant of the technology and what's out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-21-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as I know, you will need to utilize a cell phone in some way to get on anywhere in the 48 states.
Old 08-21-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you're gonna need something like this:

In all seriousness, the things I would recommend have all been ruled out in your post:

* hotspots via wifi
* home network via wifi or bluetooth
* using a cell phone as a modem

Clearly, you need to get data out of and into your PDA. Other than adding a card that makes your PDA into a Blackberry or wireless modem -- and correct me if I'm wrong, but those don't exist -- you have no chance to do what you're trying to do.
Old 08-21-04, 03:24 PM

Is there anything that allows me to turn my pda into a sort of makeshift cellphone? Doesn't Sprint offer some kind of card that allows me "call" onto their cellular network? And if so, then I'd have to have some kind of dial-up account, no?
Old 08-21-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Painkiller
Is there anything that allows me to turn my pda into a sort of makeshift cellphone? Doesn't Sprint offer some kind of card that allows me "call" onto their cellular network? And if so, then I'd have to have some kind of dial-up account, no?

Call Sprint? Go to a Sprint store? But I don't think there's an SDIO or Flash card that'll do what you're talking about.

If you're willing to get an account with a wireless company, you can just get whatever free phone they're giving away with a contract and use that as a modem. The only problem I see is if you don't want to carry both.
Old 08-21-04, 03:33 PM

I didn't call Sprint, I just mentioned it because it just popped up. I really don't want to carry both a cellphone and pda. I guess I'll just have to wait for that. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-04, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Painkiller
If your PDA has wifi you can go with Skype...or if you have Vonage, you can use it with your wifi PDA too.
Old 08-22-04, 02:58 AM

My t610 has bluetoooth...as does my Axim. I use the two to get internet on the Axim when I'm out and about btw...
Old 08-23-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could get a PCMCIA Wireless Sprint card and an PCMCIA > Compact Flash Card adaptor. (I don't think any of the phone carriers have a CF wireless card yet.
Old 08-24-04, 02:44 PM
toq

Sprint PCS Connection Card

Compatibility - Designed for laptops using Microsoft® Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP, and select Windows Pocket PC 2000/2002/2003 devices equipped with a Type II CF slot or an expansion pack with a Type II CF or Type II PC Card slot.
Old 08-24-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by toq
Sprint PCS Connection Card

Compatibility - Designed for laptops using Microsoft® Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP, and select Windows Pocket PC 2000/2002/2003 devices equipped with a Type II CF slot or an expansion pack with a Type II CF or Type II PC Card slot.
That's pretty cool - my one gripe about my Axim X30 is the lack of a CF slot - only takes SD cards.