Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Installed new video card, now system crashes...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-20-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here's the full scoop, as best I can remember.

I bought a Dell 2001FP. My previous video card didnt' support DVI, so I wanted to get one that could. Enter the ATI Radeon 9600SE. Good "budget" card for me, since I'm not a gamer, and it would give me the DVI I wanted, and an overall better card.

I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers. I'm not like some of you, but yeah. I figured, it's just like a normal device, so I turne the PC off, unplugged the old one, put in the new one, put the disc in, and let it boot up.

Immediately I knew something was fishy. My desktop was all fuzzy. I was like "thats weird", but I let the disc run, figured with some new drivers and what not, it'd be fine. It installed, then asked for a reboot. I rebooted, and it was fine. No fuzzies no nothing. I had to reboot again, just to make sure, and fuzzy as hell and it crashed. I opened the manual "please uninstall old drivers first, before insert your new ATI card".

Shit.

So I reinstalled the old card, went back in, and did the uninstall of the old ones, then put the ATI back in.

Seemed all good.I put my away message up, woke up, turned it on, and WHAM. Blue Screen of Death. I figured "eh, maybe something crazy happened and it just crashed", so I turned it on again, and no problems, booted upf ine. So fine. Everything is working fine. Monitor looks awesome in DVI, nothing weird...

Went to work. Came home. BSOD.
Went to bed. Woke up. BSOD

At this point I"m like fuck. I rebooted, went to work, came home, BSOD.
Rebooted, said it couldn't find my hard drive. I opened it up, saw I knocked a cable out when I hit my computer out of anger, and then I rebooted. Booted up fine.

I uninstalled the ATI. Unseated and reseated all the PCI and AGP cards. Saw a piece of RAM was improperly seated as well.

Also, sometime during this whole fiasco, I bent the retaining aluminum that holds all the cards snugly, so now I have to like, pray they dont' fall out.(not the slots themselves, just the piece where the ports comte thru the back).

I turned my PC back on, and it did something different this time. WHen I booted up it was in 640x whatver mode. It also had the hardware wiazrd come up. I put the disc in, it installed all the drivers and the screeen went black and didn't come back up . The monitor was no logner getting a signal. I waited about 3 minutes to make sure the software totally installed and did a hard reboot.

Booted back up, the hardware wizard didnt come back up, the desktop was back in 1600x1200 and everything seemed ok.

I tried to do something with AudioHQ in my settings and it said it had no available driver. So at some point, something I did unistalled my audio drivers. Which was an error I was getting in my system log.

So, I downloaded the new Creative drivers.

I checked for conflicts with audio and video cards, and the computer is saying there is none.

Does anything I said at the end make you think the video card had driver issues due to the way I installed it the first time, and now should be ok? Why did the sound card act flaky and lose the drivers?

I really dont need this kind of craprighyt now, and I cant go back to the old video card, because, well it had an accident.
Old 08-20-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoops.

Dell Dimension 8200. About 2 years old.

XP Home with SP2.
Old 08-20-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the only "system error" that I"m showing, is htis one.

It last happened at 4PM today,a nd it has had no adverse affect as far as I can tell...

The PfModNT service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Old 08-20-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this one pops up too under Application errors

Windows saved user DELLDIM8200\Alan registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Old 08-21-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Woohoo. It didnt' blue screen.
Old 08-21-04, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this happen with Apple computers?
Old 08-21-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Installed new video card, now system crashes...

Originally posted by Thunderball

At this point I"m like fuck. I rebooted
I didn't know we were able to say that
Old 08-21-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by scroll2b
No, because to upgrade it, you just throw it out the window.
Old 08-21-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What was your previous video card?

Download Driver Cleaner and the latest Catalyst drivers Here .

1. In add/remove programs uninstall everything with "ATI" next to it don't reboot yet, do the same with your previous cards drivers.
2. Disconnect your PC from the Internet, reboot.
3. Run driver cleaner, click on ATI tab then "Clean". do the same for "ATI mmc", "ATI hydrovision", ATI uninstall utility etc.
4. If you had an nVidia card repeat the above process by clicking on the nVidia tab.
5. Run cab cleaner . It may take a while. Reboot
6. Install the catalyst drivers that you downloaded.
Old 08-21-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
ElementZ,

You can only use that word when you suffer a computer tragedy. Anything else is f**king censored.
Old 08-21-04, 12:06 PM

Can you get XP to go back to an earlier system restore point? I think my Dell gives me that option in one of the boot up screens. Once you have your old card in and working I would think you could riddle out why your new card didn't work and do it right the second time.
Old 08-21-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EVerythign seems ok now, it's been up for almost a day with no BSOD...I'm corssing my fingers.
Old 08-21-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by scroll2b
No, because "upgrading" and "Apple" are mutually exclusive.

hahahahahahaha ....

Well, it does happen very rarely. For those ding dongs who pay an insane amount for a vid upgrade on a Mac.

As for you Thunderball ... Gremlins did it. Don't worry. Everything will be fine now.
Old 08-23-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you read the instructions, it says to uninstall your video drivers and use the default VGA drivers prior to installation of new video drivers. Its a way of scrubbing them.

Another good idea is to use system restore before you start messing around with major drivers like video cards. That way if there is a problem, you just put the old card in and restore back to the old settings.