Reload this Page >

IDE Hard Drive question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IDE Hard Drive question.

Old 08-19-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IDE Hard Drive question.

My new computer got here and I was set to put a secondary HD in it from my old computer. I open it up and behold, the master drive is connected in a way I have not seen, with some small cable and not huge IDE cable to it. The IDE input on the mb is used by the cdrom and the dvdrom.

So how do I make this work? Do I get a 3 IDE cable (do they make that), or do I have to make an external kit? (how do I do that), or what?
Old 08-19-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: IDE Hard Drive question.

Originally posted by kvrdave
My new computer got here and I was set to put a secondary HD in it from my old computer. I open it up and behold, the master drive is connected in a way I have not seen, with some small cable and not huge IDE cable to it. The IDE input on the mb is used by the cdrom and the dvdrom.

So how do I make this work? Do I get a 3 IDE cable (do they make that), or do I have to make an external kit? (how do I do that), or what?
Similar to this one
http://tinyurl.com/5sms5
Old 08-19-04, 08:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
You probably got SATA instead of ATA.

Old 08-19-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk God

yes, I think that is it. Hard to tell the relative size of that, but it was smaller than the power supply cable end thingy (english major, here I come).
Old 08-19-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
You probably got SATA instead of ATA.
Yeah, I think I recal seeing SATA on the mb. Now what?
Old 08-19-04, 08:25 PM
X
Administrator

Hook your other drives up to the IDE ribbon cable. Get another cable if your motherboard has two sockets for that type of cable.
Old 08-20-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

The motherboard only has one. Do they make a triple ribbon? Also I do have a blank spot that is for the floppy that I didn't get, but it looks like it is smaller than the IDE
Old 08-20-04, 01:05 AM
X
Administrator

There is no triple ribbon. You might see if you have another SATA port and then you can buy another SATA drive if necessary. Or you can add an IDE card to handle your existing drive or you can look into converting the hard or an optical drive into an external device.
Old 08-20-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Odd - typically, your motherboard will have a second IDE connector, even if it supports SATA.

If you've got an open PCI slot, I'd follow X's advice and just add an IDE controller card. Something like this would work:

http://www.z-buy.com/product.asp?item=CL-PR100TX2

Or, you could spend a little extra and get a RAID card, in the event you ever want to mirror your data or something (I do this with my music server PC).
Old 08-21-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
that is strange. even my el cheapo dell that has sata has 2 ide slots.
Old 11-12-04, 01:12 AM

same situation here

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I run into similar problem with my new Dell 8400.

Dell came with dvd rom and 80gb hard drive; I was going to put in Maxtor 200gb ultra ATA/133 as my second hd, and a new Pioner dvd burner.

There is only one ide slot, with dvd rom on it. Hard drive is connected the same way kvrdave described.

Newbie dilemma:

- how do I hook up Pioneer dvd burner?

- how do I hook up 2nd hard drive (200gb Maxtor)

Easiest way (as I said I am newbie) how to do this
- get rid of dvd rom and install Pioneer there, hook up 200gb and Pioneer to ide slot, and leave the original hard drive the way it is.

Is it going to work ok or should I get a different hard drive?
I was looking at different IDE controller cards, but I am sorry to say I have no clue which one to get.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-12-04, 02:53 AM
toq

Re: same situation here

Originally posted by DeepBlue
- get rid of dvd rom and install Pioneer there, hook up 200gb and Pioneer to ide slot, and leave the original hard drive the way it is.
This is the route I would recommend. It's probably the easiest and certainly the no-cost solution to this.
I was looking at different IDE controller cards, but I am sorry to say I have no clue which one to get.
You should only need to look towards this if there is a specific reason you would like to keep your original DVD drive in conjunction with your DVD burner.