Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Display problems

Old 08-17-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Display problems

I installed an external DVD burner today and after install, I rebooted and my desktop had reverted to 640x480. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my video card drivers to no avail. I uninstalled the software and drivers for the burner and rebooted and I'm still stuck at 640x480. The slider in the display options won't budge. The colors are fine though. The Device manager doesn't show any problems.

What gives?

Running Win98
Old 08-18-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Restart Windows in Safe Mode via F8 Key on top of the keyboard. Directions below:

Restart Windows and keep pressing F8 during the bootup. You want to start tapping F8 after the drives are recognized on the screen but before the Windows splash screen appears. A startup menu with 6 options should appear. Use SafeMode option to start Windows. Once Windows starts in SafeMode do this,

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>DeviceManager.
Click on the "+" next to DisplayAdapter. You'll now see the name of your video card appear underneath. Write down the name. Now right click on the video card and select Remove.
Restart Windows, Start>Shutdown>Restart and let it boot into Normal mode. It will reinstall the video card.

You need to have you video card drivers after it boots into Windows

Install your drivers.
Old 08-18-04, 12:54 PM

Hey 68, thanks again for your help.

Last night was rough. I nearly threw my computer out the window several times. I ended up pulling out my video card and reverting to the default monitor port that came with my computer and everything went back to normal on that end. Trying to reinstall the Voodoo card again only brought up the same problems problems. I can deal with the current card for now, since I'll be getting a new computer within the next few months and don't really do that much gaming or animation anymore.

But now, here's the current problem. The drive isn't recognized by windows. When I start up in safe mode, it shows up in device manager but not in normal mode. I removed it in safe mode and rebooted and installed new drivers, but it still doesn't show up. When I go to Device Manager, there's a 'error notice' by 'USB Mass Storage Device' which I assume is my USB DVD burner. The error says

The NTKERN.VXDdevice loaders for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2) To fix this, Update driver.

So I go to update the driver and it searches for the best driver and says that the best driver is already installed and would I like to reinstall it. The driver is C:\windows\inf\other\usbcompliance.U2A0.ini

When I click 'yes' to reinstall it I get a blue screen error, stating:

A fatal exception error has occured at 0028:C026B3D1 in VXD NTKERN(06) + 000005E1

Hitting a key takes me back to windows where I get another Windows Illegal Operation error message concerning RUNDLL32

RUNDLL32 caused a general protection fault
in module USER.EXE at 0010:00001276.
Registers:
EAX=00000001 CS=174f EIP=00001276 EFLGS=00000202
EBX=0000600e SS=1067 ESP=00005fac EBP=00005fd2
ECX=00000000 DS=16bf ESI=d7060219 FS=0000
EDX=00000000 ES=1067 EDI=00000000 GS=0157
Bytes at CS:EIP:
1f 5e 5f c9 ca 10 00 90 55 8b ec b4 0d cd 21 c9
Stack dump:
00001dbf 20df601e 5fc20409 00000001 00000001 46460000 00011d61 6b400000 00007fff 5fea0000 174f0093 c145e1b4 02197fff 1067600e 00000068 601e0098

That's where I am now. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and just can't get it to show up in normal windows mode.

Last edited by monkeyboy; 08-18-04 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a Note:USB must be enabled in the BIOS

Have your Windows 98 CD Handy or look in Windows Explorer at the following path: C:\Windows\options\cabs (if exist direct there)

NTKERN.VXD is part of the USB.

Go to start>Run>type in "sfc" (without the quotes)>click OK to extract NTKERN.VXD from the Windows 98 Second Edition disc into c:\windows\system and c:\windows\system\vmm32, and reboot.

If no joy,

Get your Windows CD, inset into the cd -Rom, Go to device manager and update the driver. Direct it to the CD_ROM when asked for a location. Re-Boot

Is this a brand name computer (Compaq, HP, Dell, Store Brand etc..) or a clone (self Built)
Old 08-18-04, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Just a Note:USB must be enabled in the BIOS

Have your Windows 98 CD Handy or look in Windows Explorer at the following path: C:\Windows\options\cabs (if exist direct there)

NTKERN.VXD is part of the USB.

Go to start>Run>type in "sfc" (without the quotes)>click OK to extract NTKERN.VXD from the Windows 98 Second Edition disc into c:\windows\system and c:\windows\system\vmm32, and reboot.

If no joy,

Get your Windows CD, inset into the cd -Rom, Go to device manager and update the driver. Direct it to the CD_ROM when asked for a location. Re-Boot

Is this a brand name computer (Compaq, HP, Dell, Store Brand etc..) or a clone (self Built)
It's an old Gateway. I tried the first thing you listed, no love. I decided to put a call in to tech support for the drive. I must say that Mad Dog Multimedia has the best tech support I've ever used. A tech answered the phone immediately and actually listened to and comprehended the problems I was having without having to read through a troubleshooter script.

So I ended up downloading drivers from the website and reinstalling the drivers in safe mode. I hadn't thought of that. In safe mode, I couldn't access my cdrom to install drivers so I Just gave up on that idea. Dumb. Now it seems to work right.

He also said something about some video cards sharing an IRQ with USB ports and that might be why I was having problems with my Voodoo card. He said you can go into the BIOS and mess with the stuff but I get a little nervous there. Everything is fine for the moment.

Thanks again for your time 68.