Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about using my laptop in Europe

Old 08-17-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about using my laptop in Europe

I've actually got a couple questions.

First off, I've got a 1600W 110v-220v power transformer/converter, however, it specifically says that it's for "heat producing" items and should NOT be used for electronics including computers, cd players, etc.

This in itself confuses me. It's obviously not a power strength issue since my laptop power supply only pulls like 70 watts and a cd player is even less than that. It has something to with the "electronics" vs. "heat producing"

But that's not my major question. I've got a Dell laptop and its power supply (the black box in the middle of the cord that converts my U.S. AC power into the DC power used by the dell) says that it's rated for 110-220v. There is no switch on it (visibly), but this seems to imply that I do not even NEED the 110-220 converter that I mentioned initially.

Can anyone confirm that they have done this, plugged their US laptop into a 220v outlet without mishap? And that there's no hidden/internal switch or anything I'd have to do?

My only other issue with the Dell is that the power cord is a grounded 3-prong plug, and all of my plug-converters are only TWO prong. I've got some of those little 3->2 plug converters, but I'm not sure that's the best idea... although frankly, I'm not 100% sure why the dell has a 3-prong plug on it. My previous laptop (and other wal-wart items that are converting AC to DC for things like Cell phones etc) only have the polarized 2-prong plugs.

Any advice from laptop-toting travellers?
Thanks
Old 08-17-04, 10:20 PM

You don't need the POWER converter, since the power brick you have will automatically select the correct voltage inside. And yes, you will need a PLUG converter to be able to use the outlet... I don't know why Dell made their power cables grounded, why don't you give them a call? That's all it takes. And yes, I used my Toshiba in Europe, without a power converter.
Old 08-17-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I used a three prong with the adaptor, and it just had the ground prong hanging over...no ill effects
Old 08-20-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies y'all. I figured it'd work but wanted to be sure.
Cheers!