Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Digital copy of home video

Old 08-17-04, 07:05 PM

Digital copy of home video

Hi All,

My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this.

I want to make a DVD of a home video. The video camera (digital 8 system) has an "i.link" output, which according to the manual allows you to make a digital copy on a VCR (contradiction??) or a "DV product".

So, how do I get this movie on my computer, and can I do this digital (using the i.link output), or do I have to go through a digitizing card?

Also, can somebody suggest some software do to the video editing, and allows me to write the final product on a DVD using my DVD writer?

Thanks a lot!
LolaRennt.
Old 08-17-04, 07:22 PM
X
Administrator

You'll just need a Firewire port or an add-on card that gives you one. Then you'll need software that can read it in from the camera. Often cameras come with the software.

There are a lot of software products that will make the DVD for you. Ulead VideoStudio, Pinnacle Studio, Sonic MyDVD, etc.
Old 08-17-04, 07:32 PM

Lola, you're in for a wild trip Buy a firewire card, then make sure you have PLENTY of HD space, since uncompressed video is like 13 GB/hour... then use a cheap, reliable video suite like the one from Ulead to edit your video, trim it, add whatever you want (transitions, text etc.) and outpout it in MPEG-2 format. After which you can import the resulting MPEG2 file into a program like DVD Movie Factory, and you'll be able to make a menu and whatever else you want on a finished DVD.

For tutorials and guides, go to www.videohelp.com , they have an excellent resource pool...
Old 08-17-04, 07:37 PM
X
Administrator

Ulead will create the menus and burn to DVD.
Old 08-17-04, 08:43 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all this. I sort of knew this. I really just need to know if this i.LINK port will actually allow me to make a digital copy of the home video, or if I will have to sample all it to make it digital. What does i.LINK exactly mean? Is this the same as firewire (I seem to remember that i.LINK was just Sony nomenclature).

Thanks!
LolaRennt
Old 08-17-04, 09:30 PM
X
Administrator

i.LINK is Firewire and the only signal it can transfer is digital. It will not be resampling although the software will have to convert the incoming AVI to MPEG-2 for DVD.