Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Stuck adapter tip! Creative solutions needed

Old 08-17-04, 08:52 AM
Cool New Member

Stuck adapter tip! Creative solutions needed

At work I have a Dell OptiPlex GX270. Yesterday, while listening to music on headphones plugged into the front panel of the case, I had to get up quickly and got tangled in the headphone cord. I stumbled and the headphones came out of the jack, so I figured no big deal...but the 1/8" adpater that I was using was bent awkwardly, and later came apart, and I realized today that the tip of the plug is still stuck up inside the jack, having been ripped off from the adapter.

I cannot plug headphones into the jack, and cannot play music on the speakers since the computer thinks there are still headphone plugged in. I opened the case but the inside part of the jack seems inaccessible. I've tried paperclips and tweezer to try getting out the tip but nothing has worked...if anyone has any suggestions I would welcome them! Thanks.
Old 08-17-04, 12:33 PM

nice problem !!

If tweezers don't work, you may want to try and disconnect the jack from inside the box. Do you have a regular case or one of the small boxes ? If it's a regular case, I think there is just a cable inside that leads to the front of the case that you can pull. I haven't tried this in a while, but I know that it applies when repairing the switch on the front panel.

If it's the small case, you will just have to pop it open and try to disconnect the jack somehow. I haven't opened up a small case yet, so I don't have any tips to offer you.