Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

New HD, can't find data on old HD

Old 08-16-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New HD, can't find data on old HD

Hey there. I ran a couple searches on this forum to see if anyone has had this problem, but didn't find anything (might not have been looking too well).

This is what I had: Old Hard Drive, originally was Windows ME then upgraded to Windows 2000. When that happened, everything in My Documents appeared to be missing. It wasn't, it was somewhere else on the drive (don't remember where and believe me, that is killing me right now), so I created a link to that folder. Never thought much about it again.

This is what I did: New Hard Drive, clean Windows XP Pro install, went off quite smoothly.

Fast forward to the problem. I didn't back up all my old stuff (tons of CDs ripped from my collection downstairs, my website files, years worth of digital pictures, all sorts of documents) because it was all stored on my old 40 GB HD. I simply plugged in the old HD as the secondary and was going to dump all my data onto the new HD, then reformat the old one for whatever I needed it for. I can't find my stuff.

OK, so that stunk. I thought I'd just pop out the new HD and plug in the old one so I can access my stuff. Thought I'd break down and buy a DVD burner if I had to for backup purposes. Windows 2000 won't boot. It would 30 minutes earlier when I pulled the old drive. Can't restore Windows, tried that. So I trudged on.

Popped the old HD back into my XP box as the secondary, did searches in Windows. I've tried a couple demo data recovery programs. They show 4 GB of data on the 40 GB HD. It was nearly full. Of course (doh!) it was all stored in My Documents. Even tried popping it in as both primary and secondary in an older box we have. Nothing.

Does anyone have suggestions? In the meantime I am doing NOTHING with the old drive--I don't want to ruin what might be there. Thanks!

Last edited by PrincessT; 08-16-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EDITED:
When you plugged the "old" hard drive , did you change the jumper on the hard drive to slave?
Does the BIOS reconize the old hard drive?
QUOTE:
"I thought I'd just pop out the new HD and plug in the old one so I can access my stuff. Thought I'd break down and buy a DVD burner if I had to for backup purposes. Windows 2000 won't boot.
Does the BIOS reconize the drive? Did you change the jumper to master or cable select??????

When you first boot up (when thre is a black and white, DOS like screen. The configuration screen), Does it list loth drives? It goes fast, so you can hit the "pause/Break" key on the kwyboard to stop and read it and press to resume bootup.

You should see a listing for
Primary Master-----New Hard drive (Model Brand?)
Primary Slave-------Old Hard drive (Model Brand?)

Can you provide the current setup of your system?:
Primary Master
Primary Slave
Secondary Master
Seconary Slave

Jumper settings with each of the above

Thanks

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-17-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-17-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you provide the current setup of your system?:
Primary Master
New Hard Drive, 120 GB
Jumper Setting: Primary

Primary Slave
Old WD 40 GB Hard Drive
Jumper Setting: Secondary

Secondary Master
None

Seconary Slave
CD-RW
Jumper setting as it was before, I'm sure it's set at secondary. It's also connected to the mobo at the secondary IDE slot and on a separate cable.

Jumper settings with each of the above

Thanks
I didn't get the exact names, etc. from the startup screen, but I did configure the jumpers accordingly (no cable select).

I ran another data recovery program called Restore My Data and it seems to be finding something. I think this is going to be a week-long after work process.

I might try replacing the missing/corrupt file on the old Windows 2000 40 GB drive and see if it will boot. If so, then I will either burn some DVD-RWs (probably 4 spindles worth and just not bother saving the rest), or I will network my PCs and do data dumps. Depends on A) if replacing the file works and B) which machine ends up with the 40 GB drive in it.

Last edited by PrincessT; 08-17-04 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-17-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does Restore My Data correctly show the 40GB drive or is it reporting a smaller drive capacity amount? ( I don't mean data amount, but actual drive capacity)

If is is showing only 4GB or 40GB of data, it could be the BIOS reporting the wrong information to Windows/Restore My Data.
That is why I wanted to see the numbers from the startup screen!

When You boot into Windows XP, does it list the old drive in Windows Explorer? IF so, Right click on the old drive and select>properties>What capacity does it say?

Configuration should be:

Primary Master (hard drive connected to the end of the Primary data cable with the jumper set to master)
New Hard Drive, 120 GB
Jumper Setting: Primary

Primary Slave (hard drive connected to the middle of the Primary data cable with the jumper set to slave, not secondary!!)
Old WD 40 GB Hard Drive
Jumper Setting: Secondary

I am suspecting the BIOS is only seeing 4GB. You may need to enter the BIOS and let it detect the hard drive again.
See if you can get the startup screen numbers again.

what files dis Windows 2000 complain about missing? NTLDR?

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-17-04 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-17-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, so you upgraded to Windows 2000 from ME. Did you have to re-enter a username or computer name?

And you found your documents by probably going to Documents and Settings, then clicking on your old username?

P.S. I would have done a clean install of Windows 2000 and wiped ALL WinME drivers and whatever off that drive. ME stinks.
Old 08-22-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
I am suspecting the BIOS is only seeing 4GB. You may need to enter the BIOS and let it detect the hard drive again.
See if you can get the startup screen numbers again.
It says 37.XX GB in Windows Explorer and it says 40022 MB when I startup. It is set as Primary Slave, BTW. I mistyped earlier. I did go into BIOS and auto-detect and this is what it said:

Capacity: 40022 MB
Cylinder: 19158
Head: 16
Precomp: 0
Landing Zone: 19157
Sector: 255

what files dis Windows 2000 complain about missing? NTLDR?
It wasn't NTLDR--I've seen that happen before (login screen won't load) at a computer where I work. I can't remember what it was and now when I try to boot from this drive, I get Disk Boot Failure. That did happen before, but on other tries I was able to get it to at least try to load Windows 2000. The file that was missing ended in 32 I believe, but I didn't write it down (or if I did the post-it got recycled).

When I put a startup disc in and it loads the Windows 2000 CD, I get the message "Windows has detected that C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition. All the data recovery software I've tried (about 6 different ones, most of them demos) will only see 3.XX GB of data. Windows too. Additionally, this drive is NTFS file system according to all the data recovery progs. I couldn't tell you with certainty what file system the drive was prior to adding the new XP drive; however, since it's over 32 GB, I'm pretty sure it was NTFS format before.

Last edited by PrincessT; 08-22-04 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-22-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The harddrive stats are correct. One uses the decimal(40GB) system (bytes/1,000,000,000) and the other uses a Binary(37.25) system (bytes/1,073,724,841)

Decimal vs. Binary:
For simplicity and consistency, hard drive manufacturers define a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes. This is a decimal (base 10) measurement and is the industry standard. However, certain system BIOSs, FDISK and Windows define a megabyte as 1,048,576 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

If you still are receiving the "Disk Boot Failure" message, make sure the BIOS is set to boot from:
1. Floppy drive
2. CD-ROM drive
3. Hard Drive
4. Other / Network
Save changes and exit.
Make sure there are not any non bootableCD's or floppy's in the drives and they are functioning drives.
Check your IDE cables.

What OS startup disc are you using?
We can try some things using an Win98 startup disc and fdisk.

Are you using a 3rd party Program such as for multi booting?

What are the data recovery programs names? Do they "see" NTFS partitions

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-22-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-10-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know it's been awhile, but I'm still trying!!! LOL!

I think maybe fdisk might help. I tried Recover It All Professional and it shows 3 logical areas on this drive. After doing a logical scan, I can see 4 x FAT12 and 4 x FAT32 file systems and only 2 NTFS file systems.

Old 09-10-04, 03:32 PM
X
Administrator

It looks like the drive type of the WD is trying to say it's DEAD.
Old 09-10-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heh, it does look like that!