Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking to get DVD Burner, what do I look for?

Old 08-16-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking to get DVD Burner, what do I look for?

I'm a newbie with the DVD burning world, looking to get a good deal on a good product.

I've got a dell machine, operating on XP.

I don't know what the -R and +R dicatates, nor do I know if I need a "dual layer" burner.

Mostly will use for DATA backup, but want something that will allow me to play around and put VHS on DVD (how do I do that?)

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-16-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything by Pioneer is excellent.

J&R has an 8x DVD-R/DVD+R retail box with lots of great software to help you put VHS on DVD. $69.88 after $40 rebate ($4.95 shipping)

newegg.com has a 16x Dual Layer DVD-R/+R OEM for $100 shipped free.

Either of these drives would be excellent.

As for the -R/+R they are just competing formats. Neither one has an advantage over the other. -R have a higher compatability with DVD players than +R. Most new DVD players support both media now. -R used to be cheaper, but both formats are about the same price now.

Last edited by Absolute Zero; 08-16-04 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-16-04, 07:28 PM
Suspended

OMG. The 108 is dropping in price quickly. You guys do know it's not really a 16x recorder. It only records at 16x at the very end of the writing process. That's why I've postponed buying one until a real 16x comes out.

I would get the DVR-107D or the A07. DL media is wayyyyyy too expensive anyway, and even 8x media is pretty spendy.

Btw, I have a 107D and love it! It's also great for storing large amounts of data. I've cleaned off about 30GB of stuff from my drives, burning about 8 DVDs.
Old 08-16-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cool thanks for the input, I was reading the reviews on newegg about this one, what are your thoughts? reviews seem strong.

if it burns at 8x I'd be plenty happy. and I can replace my current CD-R drive as well. think it's 32x or 40x, not sure.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...152-023&depa=0
Old 08-16-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Absolute Zero

As for the -R/+R they are just competing formats. Neither one has an advantage over the other. -R have a higher compatability with DVD players than +R. Most new DVD players support both media now. -R used to be cheaper, but both formats are about the same price now.
interesting, why would they have two formats? doesn't make a lot of sense. just confuses people like me.
Old 08-16-04, 09:55 PM
Suspended

db27,

-R was supported by Pioneer (among others) while +R was supported by Sony (among others as well). You could probably do a search on Google and get much much more in-depth info on the matter.

I'd rather get the Pioneer 107 than the NEC2510.
Old 08-16-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
db27,

-R was supported by Pioneer (among others) while +R was supported by Sony (among others as well). You could probably do a search on Google and get much much more in-depth info on the matter.

I'd rather get the Pioneer 107 than the NEC2510.
so it's like beta/vhs sorta thing?

cool, thanks for the help!

what advantages do you think the Pioneer would have over the NEC?
Old 08-16-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm considering an external burner that I can move around between computers. Anyone have any good deals for one of these puppies?
Old 08-16-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by db27

what advantages do you think the Pioneer would have over the NEC?
Pioneer drives have better compatability amongst all the different manufacturers of burnable DVDs. Pioneers are very reliable and have been around for quite a while and they've just proven themselves as high quality drives.

I'd go for the 8x Pioneer on J&Rs site becuase it comes with all the cables and screws and the retail box comes with a number of software products. Dual Layer DVDs range between $10 and $20 a peice right now. Let the Dual Layer speeds increase before you buy that drive. Right now it would take about 44 minutes to burn a DL disc. If you're only backing up data and converting from VHS then a single layer dvd should work great for you. Heck, I just bought 100 Ritek DVD-Rs for $38 shipped.
Old 08-16-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Absolute Zero
Pioneer drives have better compatability amongst all the different manufacturers of burnable DVDs. Pioneers are very reliable and have been around for quite a while and they've just proven themselves as high quality drives.

I'd go for the 8x Pioneer on J&Rs site becuase it comes with all the cables and screws and the retail box comes with a number of software products. Dual Layer DVDs range between $10 and $20 a peice right now. Let the Dual Layer speeds increase before you buy that drive. Right now it would take about 44 minutes to burn a DL disc. If you're only backing up data and converting from VHS then a single layer dvd should work great for you. Heck, I just bought 100 Ritek DVD-Rs for $38 shipped.
awesome, thanks for the insight.
Old 08-17-04, 12:19 AM
Suspended

db27,

Well, it's more of a personal preference. I know a guy who has a NEC2510 and loves it. However, I go with a product that has a large company which has dealt specifically in media authoring for a long time--like Pioneer. I suppose a person could take my statement and use it to buy a Sony, but I think Sony quality is less-than.
Old 08-17-04, 08:41 AM

Since we're in the DVD business, we have multiple DVD burners at work, back from the old Pioneer DVR-S201 authoring drive (paid close to $10,000 back in 99) to the newest DL drives (some of which I don't think are even on the market yet.

I'd have to say that everything Pioneer has stood up very well and is still in working condition. But all the drives from NEC and Lite-on have also held up very well and can be purchased at a lower cost. I'd say to avoid Sony, one of our Sony burners doesn't even burn anymore and another make a strange sound when it's burning and creates bad disc about 1 of every 8 or 9 disc.

I'd say if you're a little tight on money then go for the NEC drive, but if you can afford the difference splurge for the Pioneer. I myself have an NEC drive at home, because I figured the extra money could be spent on DVDs.
Old 08-17-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This looks pretty cool to me, should be out soon:

http://www.cdromhq.com/Nec_16X16X4X_...id-499619.html

And a review comparing the NEC and Pioneer Burners

http://www.flashman.dsl.pipex.com/Pioneer-NEC.htm

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-17-04 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the article fumanstan, although I don't understand a lot of it......very interesting nonetheless.
Old 08-18-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by breaux124

because I figured the extra money could be spent on DVDs.
so true.
Old 08-20-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just picked up this one at CompUSA and it's been great. I haven't burned dual layer yet, but I've been burning a lot of R+ and haven't had a coaster yet. And I'm running an old 450 mghz on win 98.
Old 08-22-04, 03:36 PM

did J&R sell out of the AO7? i dont see it there anymore
Old 08-23-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking about making a purchase of a DVD Burner in the last couple of weeks, but I think that I am going to hold off. I tried a DVD-RW in a couple of my DVD Players (even though they both are supposed to, according to specs), and none of them picked it up for some reason. I want to make sure that if I sink the coin, I'll get one that will be able to create files that my DVD players will play.
Old 08-23-04, 03:46 PM

I've had so-so luck with RW discs. Now I only use Ritek -R discs since they've been compatible in nearly everything I've tried them in. They are cheap enough that it isn't worth my time to have to clean an RW and then burn the disc.
Old 09-10-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, i ordered the NEC ND-2510A.

Anyone know where i can get the driver update for the NEC ND-2510A? Thanks.
Old 09-10-04, 04:28 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey DVD.guy good luck with the new burner.

You can get the firmware here
Old 09-10-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today my NEC ND-3500A arrived. I am a happy camper.
Old 09-18-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, i got my NEC ND-2510 burner. However, i get the following error "Command Sequence Error" Any ideas?

I'm able to read and view DVD's i just cant burn. I would appreciate any help.

System specs.
Dell 4550
Win XP Home
Nero 6
Old 09-19-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
seeing how nec makes a 16x +-r/rw dual layer for like $80 I'd suggest that for anyone that is going to be getting a burner soon
sadly I paid just about that much a couple months ago for the 8x version