Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Connection Speed

Old 08-12-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Connection Speed

Is there anything you can do about the connection speed of your modem? I have a 56K modem but it runs about 40K is there something wrong with my computer or is it just the quality of the phone lines?

I'm staying with my parents now that Ive graduated...as soon as I find a permanent pad I'm making the move to cable modems. I've got a good computer but this crappy modem just blows
Old 08-13-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It depends on both the modem and the quality of phone lines (and sometimes your ISP's modem pool too).

*Your modem: Check manufacturers site for later driver files. Sometimes that can help

*Phone Line: Probably SOL. If phone is also static-prone, maybe get phone company to check it, but they charge.

*ISP modem pool: If you get unusually slow connection, hang up call back.

I just changed to DSL, but with dialup, I typically got between 36K-43K. I think only once did I get above 48K
Old 08-15-04, 05:04 PM
Jae
Cool New Member

wow, i bought a new dial up modem like last year and i get about 49.2-52k
Old 08-16-04, 09:23 AM

What's dial up?

How old is the modem? Getting the latest drivers might help. But sometimes its just a limit on the quality of the lines. When I lived in my parents house I could never get better than 40K, but at my apartment at school I would always get the full connection speed.

How long are you going to be at your parents? You might consider signing up for Cable modem or DSL even for the short time cause then you'll get the intro deal at your parents house and then when you move you can get it again in your new place.

Check out some of the deals at fatwallet, people are getting money back for new service activation on Cable internet.
Old 08-16-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It could definately be the quality of the phone lines. how old is the house? If the wiring is older or if the jack you're plugging into is older or going bad, that could slow things down.

If it's the quality of the lines in the house, you're pretty much SOL until you move. I doubt your parents will want to spend the money to have the house re-wired just so you can get an additional 16k out of your modem.