Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about IE Restricted sites

Old 08-11-04, 11:53 AM
Banned

Question about IE Restricted sites

I recently found some spyware on my computer, and while removing it, I noticed that it came from www.callinghome.biz, so I added that to my list of restricted sites (Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted Sites). Anyway, then a month goes buy and I have the same spyware again. Am I doing this restricted sites thing wrong or does it not do what I want it to, or something?
Old 08-11-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You might want to browse the security settings. You can click on the custom settings tab and look at them. If you don't change any, you won't screw anything up. The default levels seem pretty tight, but there are a couple like Active-X that you might want to disable entirely, rather than the "high safety" setting. Restricted, Internet, and Trusted Sites are perhaps misnomers, they are really High, Medium and Low security settings corresponding to Low, Medium, and High trust or need to deal with them. You can tailor them by custom setting the permissions for each level.
Old 08-11-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Question about IE Restricted sites

Originally posted by icondude
I recently found some spyware on my computer, and while removing it, I noticed that it came from www.callinghome.biz, so I added that to my list of restricted sites (Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted Sites). Anyway, then a month goes buy and I have the same spyware again. Am I doing this restricted sites thing wrong or does it not do what I want it to, or something?

Did you use a program to find the spyware? If so, what programs?

Here is a good link for restricted Sites:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
(The IE_Spyad is a good reg file that adds sites to the restricted zone).

SpywareBlaster is a good and free proggy that will add to the restricted site, hosts file and home page restriction
Old 08-12-04, 10:19 AM
Banned

I find spyware usually my CTL->ALT-DELETE and seeing what's running. If it looks like something new, something that I don't recognize, or something that otherwise shouldn't be running then I look into it. Of course, this will only work with older OS like my Windows 98SE or below. With newer OS yes it's much harder to find these things.

This website you mention http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm looks pretty good.
Old 08-12-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by icondude
I find spyware usually my CTL->ALT-DELETE and seeing what's running. If it looks like something new, something that I don't recognize, or something that otherwise shouldn't be running then I look into it. Of course, this will only work with older OS like my Windows 98SE or below. With newer OS yes it's much harder to find these things.

This website you mention http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm looks pretty good.
the CTRL ALT DEL method primarily lists the exe files. Alot of parasites run off off different files such as dll's etc...