Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

ripping cd's

Old 08-10-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ripping cd's

So I'm finally getting around to ripping my CD's into my computer. I can't seem to get CDex to function on my system. After several tries, all I get is the 'blue screen of death' when I click the icon. So I'm using Music Match. I've tried several others and the fastest speed I get is roughly 3x ripping speed. My hard drive and cd drive(s) are all just a few months old. My processor however is a 450 mghz. I'm running Win 98. My brother gets Music Match to rip at 7x. Is it my processor that's holding me back?
Old 08-11-04, 03:23 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes
Old 08-11-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a 988 MHz and Windows ME. I'm between 3x and 4x rip, so you are probably limited by processor speed.

Have you upgraded Music Match to the "pay" version? I know they promise faster CD burning, ie the "free" version is a cripple. I'm not sure about ripping speed. I didn't upgrade as I use something else to burn anyway.
Old 08-11-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by OldDude
I have a 988 MHz and Windows ME. I'm between 3x and 4x rip, so you are probably limited by processor speed.

Have you upgraded Music Match to the "pay" version? I know they promise faster CD burning, ie the "free" version is a cripple. I'm not sure about ripping speed. I didn't upgrade as I use something else to burn anyway.
Yes I did upgrade MM, in hopes that I'd get more speed and it stayed exactly the same. I guess my old 450 is holding me back.