Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

weird ? about adding wireless to existing lan

Old 08-09-04, 08:35 AM

weird ? about adding wireless to existing lan

My friend has DSL, and his LAN setup runs through the phone lines in the house. Currently the DSL modem is connected to an old pc that acts like a router and sends info to each pc through the phone lines.

He would like to add a laptop to the mix, but the phone line LAN cards are no longer available.

I was thinking of adding a wireless router so the laptop can participate. And then connecting the wired port on the wirelss router to the existing pc that serves as a router, so the existing pc's would be able to participate with minimal impact.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just connect the wireless router to a port on the pc. Plug a regular straight through cable from a port on the wireless router to the existing "router". Turn off DHCP on the wireless router so that your wireless device obtains an IP address from the existing router. Boot both and you should be in business.

By the way, you might want to use an access point instead of a router for better range and extensiblity. Though it might be cheaper to buy a router.

Last edited by garolo; 08-09-04 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-09-04, 10:50 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like your friend is using HomePNA (aka HPNA) technology. While it is not very popular (partially because it is very slow compared to CAT5 or even 802.11g), I would be surprised if you can't find a suitable card/USB adapter for the laptop on the Internet/eBay.
Old 08-09-04, 11:21 AM

garolo - I didn't explain it very well, but the pc doesn't have any ports - its just a board in the pc that has a place to plug in the incoming DSL cable, and another place for the outgoing cable from that card into a phone jack. Or am I misunderstanding you?

JM - although I don't know the brand name of what he has, you are right about what it is. Neither of us know that much about it and would rather buy parts at a store where we can easily return them if we make a mistake (inevitable). That was why I was trying to come up with a solution that would get him running without bothering the other pc's in the rest of the house.

Eventually I would have him get wireless cards for those other pc's and do away with the phone LAN altogether, but I would like to take it one step at a time.
Old 08-09-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually you won't need wireless cards for the pcs if you can run cat5 from the pcs to the wireless router. Depending on the router you get 4 - 8 hard wired ports. In the meantime you could add another NIC to the the pc router and plug the wireless into that. I believe you just need to configure a subnet for the other card and bridge it somehow. dslreports.com has a wealth of this kind of info.