Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Living in Japan, need a good digital camera

Old 08-08-04, 09:13 PM

Living in Japan, need a good digital camera

Hi, I recently moved to Japan to teach English for a year and I need a good digital camera to chronicle my time here. I really don't know anything about digital cameras or photography in general. I basically want something good, that's pretty affordable, and will let me take decent pictures to share with my friends and family.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Old 08-08-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When you buy...go to Akihabara. There are many stores right near the train station that will let you buy duty free...so it will be cheaper than going to Yodobashi Camera, Bic Camera, etx...in Shinjuku.

Where are you staying? Have you learned the train system yet?

As far as cameras what is your price range?
Old 08-09-04, 02:26 AM

Hi, thanks for responding. I'm not actually living in Tokyo(I wish). I'm about 2.5 hours north of Tokyo in the Fukushima prefecture, so I don't have to worry about the train system. While I'm kind of living in the boonies, I do have access to some pretty good electronic stores but I'm not likely to go down to Tokyo to Akihabara or Shinjuku anytime soon.

I guess the most I'd like to spend on a camera is $300-400 US, so about 30000-40000 Yen.

Any information or web-sites where they review digital cameras would be great!
Old 08-09-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a lot of choice if you would just come for an hour or two at Shinjuku.There is 3 big electronics store competing and Saturdays and Sundays are bargain days.They give special sales on those day's.And can buy all the accesories that you need at the same time.If you want reviews then go to this sites http://www.dpreview.com/ or
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

But before some of the camera's make into the hands of those websites they are already in sale in Tokyo.Just tell the salesperson what you want in a digital camera and a budget and they will get you the right model.Usually go for a camera maker model,because they use their won lens, like Nikon,Canon or Kyocera

Last edited by Kumar J; 08-09-04 at 04:15 AM.