Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about Winamp and video files....

Old 08-08-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Question about Winamp and video files....

for some reason, Winamp has become my default player for video files. I've tried everything to get MS Media Player to become the default, without success. Anyone have any ideas on how to implement this change?
Old 08-08-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

In Windows Media Player, go to options and File Types and make sure the proper file types are selected, like .avi or .mpg. In Winamp's options, make sure to uncheck those same ones.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to right click on the file you want to open, choose "Open With..." and pick "Choose Program." You can pick Media Player, and check the box on the bottom that says "Always use this program..." or something.
Old 08-08-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by fumanstan
In Windows Media Player, go to options and File Types and make sure the proper file types are selected, like .avi or .mpg. In Winamp's options, make sure to uncheck those same ones.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to right click on the file you want to open, choose "Open With..." and pick "Choose Program." You can pick Media Player, and check the box on the bottom that says "Always use this program..." or something.
I've done both of those, but Wimamp always defaults as the player when I double click a file. I have been right clicking, open with for a while, but it's annoying me.
Old 08-08-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also check that Winamp doesn't have "Winamp Agent" turned on. That'll maintain winamp for the file associations even if you try to get another program to take over the association. (It's in Winamp Preferences in the "File Types" category)
Old 08-08-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm running WinAmp 5 and whenever that happens (which is usually when I install a new version of WinAmp) I go to WinAmp, right click > options > preferences > file types > click "Audio Only"

And then I go to WMP > tools > options > file types > check off "Windows Media Video file (wmv)", "Windows video file (avi)" and "Movie file (mpeg)" . And that usually does it for me.
Old 08-08-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

thx for the advice guys. I'll try that to see if it will work.