Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for Spam Filter & Pop Up Blocker That Blocks Everything, Except What You Want

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking for Spam Filter & Pop Up Blocker That Blocks Everything, Except What You Want

Old 08-07-04, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When my hard drive crashed a few months back, I lost a couple of freeware programs that I can't remember the names of. One was a spam filter that blocked all emails except from those you allowed (or from people in your address book), and the other was a pop up blocker that basically did the same thing (it blocked everything except the sites that you allowed).

I know that there are a few programs that are like this, but can someone recommend what they think are the best. It really pisses me off that I can't remember the names of these programs, since they were so easy to use and very effective (not to mention I had all of my approved lists created and lost them).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-07-04, 09:05 PM

Mozilla Thunderbird & Mozilla Firefox. Also, Spysweeper is really good for seting up rules for popups.
Old 08-07-04, 10:02 PM
Suspended

FireFox blocks but the most evil pop-ups. You'll just have to turn off its pop-up blocker when accessing merchant and banking sites.
Old 08-08-04, 04:38 PM
Cool New Member

To add to what the others said ...

I'm using Netscape 7.02, which was based on Mozilla. It has a built-in pop-up blocker. You can, for example, configure it to block all pop-ups. I believe this only blocks "unrequested" pop-ups. For example, if you click on a "Help" button and the site tries to open a window to display the help info, I think that's OK. Otherwise, when a site tries to open a pop-up, NS will play a sound (That may be optional. I'm not entirely sure) and display an icon in the bottom right corner. Click on the icon and it will show you the site that was trying to open a pop-up and you can click a button to add it to an exception list, so from then on that site will be allowed to open pop-ups. That way you don't have to turn off pop-up blocking for certain sites.

Also, the simplest way to eliminate pop-ups is to disable JavaScript. I surf with it off as much as possible, which is most of the time for me. YMMV.

I've never used any external pop-up blocking or spam filter programs, so I can't help you there.

James
Old 08-08-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JamesJ

Also, the simplest way to eliminate pop-ups is to disable JavaScript.
what are the sideaffects of doing this? will some sites just not work anymore?
Old 08-08-04, 10:38 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, some sites won't work any more. Other sites may work differently, but still be useable. I've occasionally run into sites that could be used with or without JS, at least for the most part, but, pop-ups, etc. aside, I just preferred the way it worked/looked without JS. On the sites where I need JS, I enable it. Then I disable it again when I leave. It's not for everyone, but I find the total lack of pop-ups when JS is disabled worth the trouble of enabling/disabling it when necessary.

James
Old 08-09-04, 12:28 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
FireFox blocks but the most evil pop-ups. You'll just have to turn off its pop-up blocker when accessing merchant and banking sites.
No, you can just go to the options menu and say allow popups from that site.
Old 08-10-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice. Although those were not the original programs that I had used, I am sure that they will do the job