Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can't View a Website but Everyone Else Can

Old 08-06-04, 03:21 AM

Can't View a Website but Everyone Else Can

Has this ever happened to anyone? There's a website I went to a couple days ago that I've been unable to access since. At first I thought it was just down, but after speaking with one of the site's administrators on a messageboard, it's not down at all. Also, my girlfriend and friends can access the site from their PC's and if I log onto my college's UNIX system through Telnet I can see the page with Lynx. Neither one of my networked computers will load the site on any browser (Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, IE).

Now, I've tried every solution I can think of to try to get to the page. I shut down my firewall. I ran Norton Antivirus. I ran Ad Aware and Spy Sweeper. I checked my hosts file for problems (it's clean). I cleaned out all my browser caches. I've rebooted countless times and rolled back my system. I tried pinging the site, which timed out. I tried a tracert but didn't exactly understand what it was saying.

In every single case, the browser reports that the site cannot be found.

I'm basically at my wit's end trying to figure out what could be wrong here. It wouldn't be my ISP messing with it, would it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by CloudVader; 08-06-04 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-06-04, 08:25 AM

Sounds like an ISP thing. It seems like you hit all the possible solutions. If multiple computers on your network can't find the site, I would lay the blame at the ISP. Who's your ISP ? and what's the website ?
Old 08-06-04, 08:39 AM

Sounds like a problem with the ISP's domain name server.
Old 08-06-04, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Lenny
Sounds like an ISP thing. It seems like you hit all the possible solutions. If multiple computers on your network can't find the site, I would lay the blame at the ISP. Who's your ISP ? and what's the website ?
My ISP is Verizon DSL. The site in question is www.aacovers.com, a site that has covers for some anime DVD's whose covers I need to replace. If anyone else is using Verizon and can test the ISP-at-fault theory, I'd appreciate it. Oh, and the site's supposedly got a decent number of scans if anyone needs a replacement anime cover.

Last edited by CloudVader; 08-08-04 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 05:29 PM

I know you said you shut down your firewall, but you're not running something like PeerGuardian and forgot about it are you? That turned out to be the culprit when I had a problem exactly like yours.
Old 08-06-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had that problem on 1 website before and it turned out that is was the DSL(ISP) problem. They denied it. I could connect via diaup thru the SBC\DSL modem, though. Others did not have this problem, such as work or another home a few miles away.
Old 08-06-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Have your parents disable CyberSitter and you'll be just fine.
Old 08-07-04, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by futbol
I know you said you shut down your firewall, but you're not running something like PeerGuardian and forgot about it are you? That turned out to be the culprit when I had a problem exactly like yours.
Nope, I've never installed Peer Guardian on either machine.

Maybe I'll look into hacking that Cybersitter password...
Old 08-08-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CloudVader
My ISP is Verizon DSL. The site in question is www.aacovers.com, a site that has covers for some anime DVD's whose covers I need to replace. If anyone else is using Verizon and can test the ISP-at-fault theory, I'd appreciate it. Oh, and the site's supposedly got a decent number of scans if anyone needs a replacement anime cover.
Well I couldn't get into this site either...until I took the , out of the end of the URL. Maybe give that a try?
Old 08-08-04, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by danicus007
Well I couldn't get into this site either...until I took the , out of the end of the URL. Maybe give that a try?
Very funny. Link fixed. It's been exactly a week now since I was last able to access that site. Verizon has denied any and all problems on their end (big surprise), even though their own tech people couldn't reach the site either when I spoke to them. So either it's a block on the website's end or it's a screw-up on my ISP's end and neither side will admit to being at fault. Great. Looks like I'm not getting my anime covers.
Old 08-08-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ping the URL and make sure the IP your machine is resolving it to is the same as what the other machines are reporting. If they're different, then it's a DNS problem.

For me, www.aacovers.com resolves to 66.195.19.43. Ping/tracert that IP and see if you can connect at all.

If you can't even ping their server, ask their admin to check if your IP was accidentally included in any subnet bans.
Old 08-08-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Along the same lines as the previous comment, check your hosts file.
Old 08-09-04, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by belboz
Ping the URL and make sure the IP your machine is resolving it to is the same as what the other machines are reporting. If they're different, then it's a DNS problem.

For me, www.aacovers.com resolves to 66.195.19.43. Ping/tracert that IP and see if you can connect at all.

If you can't even ping their server, ask their admin to check if your IP was accidentally included in any subnet bans.
All ping requests time out, as does a tracert once it reaches the step before the destination. I'll try to get in touch with one of the admins and ask about a subnet ban. It seems to be the most likely scenario at this point.

Originally posted by BigPete

Along the same lines as the previous comment, check your hosts file.
That's one of the first things I tried, if you read my first message. It's clean. I even tried manually adding "66.195.19.43 www.aacovers.com" to it, but no luck. Thanks anyway though. Is there anything else that could be done to it?
Old 08-23-04, 12:52 PM

I also have the same problem with a few sites on my computer, such as www.linkshare.com and www.sportingbetusa.com. I also have Verizon DSL, so something seems a bit fishy.
Old 08-24-04, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Same problem here

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=381687