Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Recommend me a WiFi weather monitor

Old 08-05-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recommend me a WiFi weather monitor

I don't even know if it exists, tried Google, but didn't find anything.

What I am looking for is a wall-mountable weather display, like the ones you see from Sharper Image or places like that. But I would like one that pulls weather data over wireless internet. What I am looking for probably doesn't exist, but I would like to find one.

Second choice would be one that communicates wirelessly with a sensor you would just place outside. Of course, wall mountable. Battery powered.

Any ideas?
Old 08-05-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if something like that exists, but I'd be interested, too!
Old 08-05-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I work in a hotel, and I want to put one in every guest room. We have over 300 rooms, so you can see why I don't want to have to mount all these little sensors on the exterior of the building.
Plus, I think those sensors need batteries too, so I don't want the maintenance people having to change those all the time.
Old 08-05-04, 12:06 PM

About the sensors... You can just mount one sensor for all the in-room displays that will be close enough to receive a signal if I am not mistaken. So it may just mean you have to instal around 5 sensors depending on room layout.

Something to look at.

C. Ryan
Old 08-05-04, 02:19 PM
Banned

So you want a device that will display weather data by pulling it off the internet?

I've seen devices that can talk to some kind of external sensor and such, but none that use 802.11 to do so.

It's an interesting idea, for certain.
Old 08-05-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, someone smart ought to develop it and make a lot of money! It could even be produced cheaply, because it wouldn't need the sensors. Unless the 802.11 parts cost more than the weather sensors.

Good idea about placing just enough sensors on the hotel exterior to service all the in-room units. Are we certain that one sensor will send data to all available weather monitors? If there is cross-over, how will the unit respond, will it debate over which one to connect to?

Ack! Too many variables!
Old 08-05-04, 02:52 PM
X
Administrator

Do you have TVs in the rooms? If so, why not just send the weather over one of the channels?
Old 08-05-04, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cliffzig
Good idea about placing just enough sensors on the hotel exterior to service all the in-room units. Are we certain that one sensor will send data to all available weather monitors? If there is cross-over, how will the unit respond, will it debate over which one to connect to?
Obviously, it depends on the sensor, but I can't think of any reason for those things to have bidirectional communication. The sensor has a sender device on it, the receiver receives it.
Old 08-05-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X
Do you have TVs in the rooms? If so, why not just send the weather over one of the channels?
Yeah, we have the weather channel, and the guests can certainly look at that...
But this is a luxury hotel, and I want something to make the guests say "Wow! This place is really high tech!"
Old 08-05-04, 04:51 PM
X
Administrator

Here are a couple of interesting devices.

http://www.smarthome.com/1942.html

http://www.smarthome.com/1202.html
(The Mobile Companion toward the bottom)
Old 08-05-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That first one in pretty nice looking. It would have to be elegant in a swanky hotel.
Old 08-05-04, 05:08 PM
X
Administrator

Yes, it seems it would be easy to work with. You'd just need multiple outside transmitters to cover all the rooms. Once-a-year battery changing wouldn't be too bad either.