Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Just Got Ulead DVD Moviefactory 3: I have a few questions...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-04-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know a few people here have this for dvd authoring, so let me ask you all...

I just got this. I burned a test dvd and it worked so I like that...

But, how do you fade to black or fade in from black when editing your home movie footage? They have so many great transitions that include 3-D animations and all, but I see NO transition that allows me to do a simple fade to black. Can anyone help me here?

Also, is there a way to do compression and allow the dvd to hold four hours instead of two hours?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-05-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know much about Moviefactory 3, I only played around with the first edition. So, I can't answer all your questions.

I would recommend getting TMPGEnc to compress your video. The quality won't be nearly as good, but that's about the best tool to do it with.
Old 08-05-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Create a black jpg, and do a disolve from the footage to the black jpg.
Old 08-05-04, 11:02 AM

A much simpler way to compress the footage.
Create the DVD with the file option (don't burn to disk directly, but have it create a VIDEO_TS directory). Then use something like DVDShrink to compress the video to a standard DVD size.

I've taken shows off my replayTV, then created a DVD that was over the 4.35GB limit, and just used DVDShrink to compress it to the DVD size so that I could burn it.

Plus by creating a VIDEO_TS version first, you can then test it with your software DVD player to make sure everything works and you didn't waste a disc and time finding out something got messed up.
Old 08-05-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks guys. So, there is no official way to fade to black? That's the most common used transition. Also, is there a way to save your project to an AVI file instead of, say, exporting to dvd?

And, about compression...how much lesser in the picture quality? Do you see a significant difference if, say, you have three hours of footage that you compress to fit it onto the dvd?
Old 08-05-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ulead Moviefactory 3 is more of a DVD authoring program than a video editing program. You should look at more of a editing program to create the movie (Like Adobe Premiere or Ulead® VideoStudio™ 8/Ulead® MediaStudio Pro 7) and then look at Authoring programs (Like Adobe Encore, or Moviefactory) to create the menus and such for the final DVD.

I use Premiere to edit and DVDit PE 2.5 (Kinda old) to author.

And as far as compression goes, you bet you will see a big difference in quality...
Old 08-05-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I have the same program and it hasn't worked once. I have tried everything and it still won't work. I say it sucks. But then, I can't get it to work.
Old 08-05-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Chris...when you say you see a big drop in quality...is it worse that the drop in quality from SP mode to EP mode for VHS tapes?