Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drive failure!

Old 08-04-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hard Drive failure!

So I just moved into an apartment and today I finally got the computer set up. Problem is it appears one on my hard drives didn't survive the trip.

What steps are there to troubleshoot the drive? Is there any chance that it is partially recoverable?

Currently, Windows recognizes that drive E is there. Coolmon reports that there is 0 free space. When I double click on it on my computer, it freezes up for a 30 seconds, then asks me if I want to format. What can I do?
Old 08-04-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Check all your connections... and then check them again.

Frequently a loose IDE cable can cause you all kinds of headaches and it's a minor thing

2) Get Spinrite

The above comments are my opinion only. I don't work for GRC (the makers of spinrite) and I haven't tried the newest version, but it's saved data for me on more than one occasion when everything else was saying that my drive was D, E, D dead.
Old 08-05-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
As recommended above, check all of your connections, even try a replacement cable. Before you get SpinRite (a great product as I recall, but the last time I used it was on a 386) try putting the drive in a ziplock bag, then freezing it for a few hours, then hooking it up and trying again (don't laugh, back in the day this worked many times).
Old 08-05-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First thing I tried doing was check the cables, but given the fact that XP recognized the drive as being there, but not as having any data on it I am worried. Is there a good diagnostic tool like the one that lets you know if your memory is bad?
Old 10-22-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oddly enough, I just noticed that on the latest version of DC++, people can download files off my bad HD, even though I have no access to it.
Old 10-22-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

download a copy of PE-Builder.
boot your computer using it.
try and backup/move the data off that hard-drive.
FORMAT - that'll teach that SOB hard drive to behave

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Note -- might be an extreme step. try running chkdsk and other diagnostic apps before you format. PE-builder has all sorts of plugins that'll let you do stuff. from the looks of it, maybe your hard drive is just fine, maybe windows is screwed up somewhere ...

Last edited by nomaan; 10-22-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-24-04, 09:56 PM

same thing happened to me, I used getbackdata for ntfs to recover 90% of my files.
Old 10-24-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the help. First thing I did was back up the 5+ years of funny video clips that I thought I had lost forever.