Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless-G In New Apartment

Old 08-04-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wireless-G In New Apartment

I am getting my first apartment next week, and I plan to use wireless 802.11G networking. If I place my Linksys wireless router in the living room off the cable modem being split off the tv will I be able to get (decent) reception in the two bedrooms?
Old 08-04-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

unless you appartment is HUGE, and the wall are made of solid steel, you should be good.
Old 08-04-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome! That's what I thought, but I started hearing about "line of sight" and started freaking .
Old 08-05-04, 03:32 PM
Banned

Mine goes thru the living room, the kitchen, and the dining room, to reach a back bedroom. Now I grant you that that is only maybe 30 feet, but it's through 2 walls.

802.11 is not line of sight. It's 2.4 ghz, and goes quite a ways. This also means it'll leave your house, so make sure to secure the thing by using WEP or WPA.
Old 08-05-04, 05:02 PM

I have an 802.11b wireless router in my bedroom (upstairs), and can get a decent connection on a desktop in the office (downstairs), and a good to excellent connection on my laptop basically anywhere in the house.

The house is 4600 sq ft, and I would estimate that the desktop downstairs is 40-60 feet away from the router.

In other words, you shouldn't have a problem. Just avoid any cordless phones with 2.4ghz technology.
Old 08-06-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tested it at my parents house last night and the signal was able to go from the router on the first floor to my sister's room on the second floor.

Here's my setup:

A Linksys WRT54GS router (with Sveasoft Satori v4 firmware)

2 Linksys WMP54G PCI NIC Cards

How do I go about adding security to the wireless connection? Should I use WEP or WPA?
Old 08-06-04, 11:55 AM
Banned

Use WPA if all your devices and the access point support it. Use WEP if one of them doesn't support it.
Old 08-06-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there a page online that details activating WPA? I selected it, but then it wants a key and other stuff.
Old 08-06-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use WEP, MAC Filtering and I don't broadcast my SSID.
Old 08-07-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

a couple companies around us are running unprotected wireless g networks.. any of their access points have got to be at least 200 yards away.. but I can take my pick of 3 different ones if I want to want to hit certain sites using their network, rather than our own
Old 08-07-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You might need to play around with the different channels. I'm working on one right now that is getting bumped because a neighbor is on the same channel.
Old 08-07-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've got to get myself a Wireless 802.11g wireless access point for my new laptop.

Does anybody know if normal wireless routers will allow daisy-chaining to my non-wireless network hubs?
Old 08-08-04, 12:18 AM

muggins: my wireless netgear router allows uplinking to non-wireless switches/hubs. I imagine most other wireless routers would offer the same functionality.

Brain Stew: PC Mag offers a WPA step by step tutorial for WinXP available at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C17...7020%2C00.asp. Don't know how helpful that will be. For WPA-PSK (preshared key), you'll need to enter a sufficiently long passphrase (I've 20+ characters being less vulnerable to offline dictionary attack). The passphrase will be stored in the router configuration as well as the adapter wireless connection configuration to your router. If you have the option of choosing either TKIP or AES encryption, choose AES as I've read that it is the superior encryption algorithm.

Personally, on my winxp machine, I've disabled WinXP service "Wireless Zero Configuration" and use the wireless adapter manufacturer's configuration utility. I've heard that using both causes problems, but I wouldn't know.
Old 08-08-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awesome! Thanks for the info, iveal.

This is the first time I've ever had something with wireless capabilities. I thought about putting a wireless card in one of my desktops or servers a while back, but it wouldn't have made much sense.
Old 08-08-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Give it up for iveal!

It looks like I have to update my drivers for the wifi cards, because the driver cds don't provide WPA out of the box.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 08-08-04 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-09-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got WPA TSKIP up and running on my network using SP2. I ran into some problems with the WiFi card in my pc, because I use a Bluetooth wireless keyboard & mouse from Microsoft. It and the WiFi both use the same 2.4ghz spectrum.

The setting in the device manage of "Bluetooth Collaboration" is supposed to let them play together peacefully, but of course it was messed up. Because of this, I couldn't get a WiFi signal, until I found and disabled this setting.

The point of this post is to say, if you can't get a signal on your WiFi card and you should be able to, disable Bluetooth Collaboration before returning the card. This was something that drove me nuts, so I wanted to share.