Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

939 Pin Mobo Suggestions?

Old 08-04-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

939 Pin Mobo Suggestions?

I'm looking to build a new computer with the 939 pin Athlon 64's and was wondering what would be the recommended board.

I guess right now it just comes down to a few boards, but bascially, would you go with VIA or nvidia? And what should I look for?

All I really know is I'd like to set up 2 SATA drives in RAID, use a gig of DDR RAM (when does DDR2 come out and would it be helpful?) and my Radeon 9700. Good on-board audio seems pretty standard as does gigabit ethernet.

Newegg has ABIT, ASUS & Gigabyte 939 boards at $120, $150 & $220 though I don't see huge differences (though it appears the nvidia costs more right now - not quite sure of the advantages)...

As for other things, PCI-X doesn't really interest me now as I don't plan on upgrading my 9700 any time soon as I'm not into the state-of-the-art games like others (not that any of these boards have it yet).

So basically...after all the babbling above - what would you recommend? What board offers the best features for the price?