Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help with my new monitor

Old 08-03-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Need help with my new monitor

Ok, I once again humbly come before the great tech minds of this forum with a few questions about my new monitor.

So I go out and buy a new comp, with a new strategy this time. I put less money towards the cpu and more towards the monitor. I think this is a new strategy I will stick with b/c most computers that are new, are more than enough for me and this new monitor is fantastic.

This monitor is a 17 inch, flat panel Samsung 712N. It is unbelievable and has stunning picture resolution. However, many web pages come up looking small and sometimes only half the size of what they used to be on my old monitor (which was also 17 inches). They are maximized, but within the window, the actual text and pictures of the web page do not stretch across the full screen. Not all web pages do this though.

So I think I figured out it has to do with the level of screen resolution, I am not sure how it works but when I reduce the resolution to the next lower level, things look closer to normal. The hitch is that things don't look as clear, kind of a catch-22, since I bought this monitor for the high res and clear picture.

Some other stuff I have toyed with in trying to understand this problem. I found (by accident) that under advanced settings I can reset the DPI (whatever that is) to 120 (which I think makes things 120% instead of 100%). This helps somewhat, but also causes things to not look as good. Another thing I have messed with is just adjusting the text sizes. This works on some web pages, like this forum and Yahoo for example that are full in the window. But it doesn't do anything to the web pages that are only taking up half of the window when it is maximized.

So my basic questions are: is there anything I can do to make these web pages stretch to their full size (across the whole screen) with out messing with the clarity or crispness of the picture? Does this happen b/c certain web pages are only designed to be viewed by a 600X800 resolution? And if so, does this mean there is not much I can do about these websites, except reduce my resolution settings when I visit them?

Thanks once again for any help you guys can give me. Someday, if they ever open up a psychology forum I will be able to repay you in kind....
Old 08-04-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not all webpages are programmed to stretch across the screen in the first place, but I assume you're talking about sites that used to stretch across, but no longer do?

Have you switched to a higher resolution? e.g. did you go from 800x600 to 1280x1024? If so, websites that were made to fit specifically within a width of 800 now have 480 extra pixels off to the side and they may not be set to use those extra pixels.

As for the blurriness, you have to find out what the native resolution of the screen is. My brother and I both have the same monitors and I run at the native resolution of 1280x1024 and it looks great - crisp, clear, easy to read. My brother doesn't like the "icons so small" so he runs at 1024x768. The text seems blurred and not quite as clear since it's trying to either upconvert or downconvert or whatever...but just the way LCDs work compared to standard tube monitors, they should be used at the native resolution for the clearest text.
Old 08-04-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The native resolution is 1280X1024 (the default setting). I don't mind the small icons and I have found ways to get the text larger, but it won't work on the pages I decsribed.

I think its b/c these pages aren't designed for this level of resolution. As you said, there is a ton of space to the side in these web pages. I did find that on the web pages that do stretch across, if I go to advanced settings and check the box that says "ignore" the web assigned fonts, this helps. But once again, only with the pages that stretch across. I take it that there is no way to make a web page stretch fully across at this resolution, if it was not designed to do so. I guess I will just lean in a little closer, b/c I really like the crispness and quality of the picture it shows. Thanks for your help, any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 08-04-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, many pages are made for fixed widths - take:

http://news.com.com/ it centers the table in the middle, whereas, say DVDTalk uses a table at 100% to stretch across the whole screen. As for the font size, you should be able to set that through your browser, but I'm not sure which one you're using.