Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Rechargable batteries for Digital Camera - Recommendations?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-03-04, 08:24 PM

Title says it all - any recommendations for a good set of batteries and recharger? Saw some Duracell 2050A for $25.

Quality is more important than price - to a limit.
Old 08-03-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MAHA batteries & chargers. I like the Kodak ones too.

http://thomas-distributing.com
Old 08-03-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know about brands, but my Energizer ones have been doing just fine.
Old 08-03-04, 09:45 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=180387
Old 08-03-04, 09:45 PM

You're in luck. There is a great thread in the hot deals forum:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=rechargable

I purchased mine a while ago from www.batteryspace.com. I bought some AA (2250 mah) and AAA batteries along with a Vanson V1000 charger. I think the batteries are called "powerizer." They work like a charm.
Old 08-04-04, 08:11 AM

so is it a case of the higher the number the better? Are all brands equal?
Old 08-04-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I use the Energizers, with the Energizer charger I picked up at BB. Batteries get a full charge in under an hour..........
Old 08-04-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to echo zuffy's recommendation. MAHA stuff is excellent.
Old 08-04-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will third zuffy and danw's recommendations. I use them for all of my camera equipment that requires AAs.
Old 08-04-04, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by zuffy
MAHA batteries & chargers. I like the Kodak ones too.

http://thomas-distributing.com
OUCH!!!!!!!!! a charger and 8 batteries $65. Are these really worth the extra $$$$
Old 08-04-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PresidentGringo
OUCH!!!!!!!!! a charger and 8 batteries $65. Are these really worth the extra $$$$
In my opinion, not really. The charger(s) is really nice though. You can't go wrong with Maha but at a cost.

I'd spend much less money getting the Energizers (2300 mah) and their quick or timered charger. For the cost of the Mahas you could get two full sets of AAs instead of one thus providing a backup plan.

Once you experience the nimh in action then you can make the decision whether to invest in Maha batts and charger - or charger only next time.

Also check Costco. I've seen a nice Sanyo 2hr charger with 4xAA batts for really cheap there. I'd get that for my first charger/batt combo for sure.
Old 08-04-04, 11:51 PM

Save yourself time and money by investing in the Rayovac IC3 "15-minute" recharge system! These batteries last an incredibly long time and nothing beats 15 minute wait time as opposed to several hours or overnight... The charger automatically shuts itself off when the batteries are fully charged and the unit also has a built-in fan to address any heat issues.

Both digital camera and mp3 player last at least 2-3 times longer!
Old 08-05-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a MH-C204F charger. I bought the combo with four 1800 mAh batteries--they currently sell a set for $26.

I'm guessing you're looking at the MH-C401FS. It's not worth it in my opinion. No matter what, faster charging = shorter battery life. The extra money is better spent on additional sets of batteries to use with a slower charger.
Old 08-05-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the C401FS with a bunch of the MAHA 2300s, and I couldn't be happier. For me, long life is more important than cost, because I don't want the added weight of backup batteries.

das
Old 08-05-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I certainly think so. Plus when I bought the package, my charger came with an AC plug as well as a 12V adapter for my car, so I can charge batteries when I'm on the road. That's come in really handy on a number of roadtrips. Maha are the best batteries I've ever owned.
Old 08-06-04, 04:34 PM
Stealth Moderator

Another nice place is:

http://www.batterybarn.com

Also on the expensive side, but they sell ONLY original manufacturers' products or other high quality replacements.
Old 08-08-04, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was reading around at the dpreview site forums and looking at battery experiences. Seems that many people are extremely happy with the 2300 mah Energizers ... for the price you just cannot go wrong unless you absolutely have to have maha.

I don't think the price premium is worth it unless you are getting a package deal with a maha charger (the charger is probably worth the premium so if the battery is going to make the overall deal then it's your call).
Old 11-02-05, 08:38 AM

This is an old thread but I thought I would bump it to see if you guys could give any current recommendations. I have a Kodak CX6330 that I use every now and then to take pictures of stuff to sell on ebay. It sucks batteries like you wouldn't believe and I wanted to get rechargeable batteries and a charger. TIA.
Old 11-02-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lemieux66c
This is an old thread but I thought I would bump it to see if you guys could give any current recommendations. I have a Kodak CX6330 that I use every now and then to take pictures of stuff to sell on ebay. It sucks batteries like you wouldn't believe and I wanted to get rechargeable batteries and a charger. TIA.
Same info applies. Just get the Energizer charger and batt combo at your local electronics place/Costco.

The thing is, alkalines don't last long in digital cameras. NiMH batts will last at least for double the amount of shots you could get from alkalines. It surprised me at first ... but the evidence supports this. Must be the battery chemistry characteristics of NiMH versus alkalines.

On the flipside, alkalines last much longer for things that require a long lasting charge because NiMH discharge a certain amount per day. IIRC, lithium batts have the longest shelf life. But for high-drain, high hit applications like digicams NiMH is where it's at.
Old 11-02-05, 11:12 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Energizer nimhs are one of the best if not the best out there. Get the 2500mah ones, I've had them peak out at 2800mah. Last I checked, they were rebadged Sanyos. Great stuff. Also get the La Crosse BC-900 charger and a quick charger from Energizer.
Old 11-02-05, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info. How much do you think I should pay for this stuff? I don't want to overpay for something on ebay, which is probably where I'll end up getting it.
Old 11-04-05, 09:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

For the Energizers, just go to your local store and look for the 2500mah ones. They should also carry the Energizer quick charger, sometimes packaged with the batteries themselves. The La Crosse BC-900 is truly a wonderful charger, allows functions you would have never imagine in a charger. Amazon is one place that carries it, $45 ships free too. I recommended the Energizer charger also because sometimes I've seen the BC-900 smart technology sometimes not recognize an overly exhausted battery, while the Energizer charges anyway.
Old 11-05-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My results from using a cd player a work
1. sony 26000mh last about two weeks
2. lenwar 2000mh last about a week
3. Energizer 2300mh last about 2 days
4. Rayovac 1500mh last about 1 day

I say go with the lenwar because I bought a pack of 24 for like $15. Oh yeah to do the test I used the same 1 hour rayovac charger so that might have made a difference.
Old 11-05-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
My results from using a cd player a work
1. sony 26000mh last about two weeks
2. lenwar 2000mh last about a week
3. Energizer 2300mh last about 2 days
4. Rayovac 1500mh last about 1 day

I say go with the lenwar because I bought a pack of 24 for like $15. Oh yeah to do the test I used the same 1 hour rayovac charger so that might have made a difference.
? Those results look too weird. The Energizer 2300mah lasted only 2 days?
Old 11-05-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only reason you would need a fast charger, is in cases such as being a photographer where you don't have 3-5 hours to wait to charge batteries because you forgot. But stated above, it is true, the faster the charge, the quicker the death of your batteries. However, let's be realistic on this. Just how many times do you charge your batteries each day? Many NiMH batteries last around 700-1000 charges, so you would have to be charging your batteries every single day for 3 years. 3 years a hell of a long time in electronics speak, and more than likely, you will have purchased replacement batteries with a higher mAh rating much sooner. I usually buy a 4-pack of new NiMH batteries every six months. I haven't ever come across my batteries losing their charge because they simply keep their charge too long!

You can buy a MAHA 204 series, and it is just fine for most people. However, if you want the best fast charger around, which keeps the batteries cool so they don't die prematurely, you're going to pay for it with MAHA's professional charging circuitry.

And as a side note for some of you who might be wanting a second 401FS, Maha has a new 8-cell charger that is totally awesome for photographers and other people who need the best charger around.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.