Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a new PC or just processor, motherboard, case?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-01-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a 4 year old Dell dimension T700 with win98se. It's working fine but I can't help but think it's time to upgrade the old 700 mHz processor. A newer OS might not be a bad thing either. The rest of the system seems to meet my needs and it would be a shame to just scrap it: 384 MB RAM, 40 and 80 GB hard drives, DVD-rom and CD-RW drives, Rage Fury Pro with vi/vo graphics card, and original soundblaster audio card. We use it for web browsing, word processing, and jukebox with little or no gaming.

Browsing the ads today there are a number of 2.5 GHz systems starting around $500. I'm sure I can get a case, motherboard, and CPU (faster than 2.5 GHz) for less than that.

I've never built a system from scratch, but I have swapped out drives, memory, and graphics cards so I'm not uncomfortable working with components.

Computer gurus out there, what would you do in this situation? Buy a whole new system or just barebones?
Old 08-01-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I generally sell my old systems to friends or family (especially if the system is still working fine).. and put that money towards a new system.. (although I always build my own, of course).

or is there another person within your household that could get use out of it?

with the current price of full systems.. its hard to pass up just going ahead and replacing the whole thing.. unless part of this, is your desire to learn to build a system from the ground up.

of course.. it also depends on how much warranty and support mean to you..
Old 08-01-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also, with new mobo, you are probably going to need all new ram.

Time for a new system, imho.
Old 08-01-04, 11:01 PM

build a new system yourself, this way you can always upgrade, I have been upgrading mine for years.
Old 08-01-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I was computer illiterate until I decided that I would build my own PC...it taught me alot, and I saved money
Old 08-02-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Also, with new mobo, you are probably going to need all new ram.

Time for a new system, imho.
and new power supply
Old 08-02-04, 10:17 AM

For what you use it for then cheap upgrade is a decent choice, checking out Newegg, you should be able to do it for:

Case/Power supply - $50 or less
CPU - $58 (Athlon XP 2000+, similar speed to a 2.0/2.2GHz P4 )
Motherboard - $30
Memory - $75 (512MB)
-----
Total about = $215
This would be for a budget level system, but it would be a good performing system for what you need.
Old 08-02-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
my current computer was built with all new stuff
I think for my next one I'm going to get a new small really cheap case and put my old mobo/cpu/ram/video card/soundcard in it with one of my hard drives and make it an mp3 player for my home theater
I'll keep the data drive and dvdrw drive and case from my current system and add a new mob/cpu/ram/video card