Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Comcast help needed

Old 07-30-04, 09:12 PM

Comcast help needed

Ugh.

Hope to be as specific as possible in this post. Seems like I'm having problems with my new Comcast connection. When I try to load web pages, sometimes the pages don't load at all. After some troubleshooting with (worthless) Comcast tech support, they point the problem back at my NIC card. I call bullshit on that because I can pull an IP address (via ipconfig) and I can pull up webpages on occassion.

After further troubleshooting, I've found that if I go into Control Panel > Network Connections and disable the Local Area Connection then enable it, I pull up a web page (as if nothing was wrong) and go to Google, type in a search and scroll through about 5 pages, before I get a Server not found error message. After I get this message, I have to go back to Control Panel and disable the Local Area Connection, wait about 10 seconds, then enable it. Then I can surf any page for another 5 pages -- obviously this isn't a solution.

Any suggestions? I've cycled through the modem a half dozen times and rebooted more than that.

Last edited by Bloomiesgirl; 07-30-04 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Comcast help needed

Originally posted by Bloomiesgirl
NIC card

Just kidding.

Have you tried a new NIC? They're only about $10 and it could save you a lot of time if it turns out to be true.
Old 07-30-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much do they run for laptops? This one is built in.
Old 07-31-04, 04:51 AM

Do you have the latest drivers for the Nic card? Updating the drivers helped me once when I was having trouble connecting.
Old 07-31-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen this a lot on Dial Up connections and it usually turns out to be a DNS error, usually that in the past, specific DNS addresses had to be entered for the connection, and now it has to be "server assigned." As soon as the server tries to assign something new, a conflict results.

Trouble is, I'm new to broadband (just got DSL) and I don't know where you set this for either a cable or DSL broadband connection. Maybe somebody else does.
Old 08-01-04, 03:33 AM

This is obviously dependent on what OS you're using, but in XP the DNS settings would be in Start --> Control Panel --> Network Connections --> Right-click on the Local Area Connection --> Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) & click on Properties --> General tab --> Obtain DNS server address automatically. It should be right under the Obtain IP address automatically option.
Old 08-01-04, 03:42 AM

Also, if your modem supports a USB connection, try using that and see if you are experiencing the same issue.
Old 08-01-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the suggestions guys -- I think I might be on to something.

I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 08-04-04, 07:38 PM

seems like a few reboots did the trick.

thanks.

w00t