Reload this Page >

Is it time to upgrade my video card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-30-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running an AMd XP 2200+ with 512mb of Ram and a GeForce4 Ti 4600. Should I upgrade to an ATI 9800 Pro? Or should I upgrade the processor and add more ram? Its not like I can't run things, but I'd like to up the graphics on them. Thanks for all of your opinions in advance.
Old 07-30-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I'm no expert but I just got my new system (P4 3.4 ghz, 1G RAM, ATI 9800 pro and audigy 2 sound card) and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Mind you, I upgraded from my 4 year old P3 800 with a geforce 4 mx... So an upgrade was necessary to play recent games.

Can't wait for DOOM 3; I think I should be able to run it at medium setting.

It all depends on what you want to do Absolute Zero. Usually games rely a bit more on the processor but a good video card always helps; but I gotta tell ya, yesterday when I played Far Cry for the first time and all the effects were maxed, I was giggling like a schoolgirl!!!

Cheers!
Old 08-03-04, 12:00 PM
Cool New Member

Well you can still run DOOM 3 on that card just not at the highest settings. Im perfectly happy with my ti4200 but thats because I only play Call of Duty.
Old 08-03-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you should stick with your Ti4600 as long as possible and save for a new system. The 4600 is still a very good video card. I say this because there are several things hitting the pipe right now.

DDR2 ram, PCI-X video cards, BTX motherboard design.

The systems that are available right now compared to the systems available in the next couple of months are night and day.
Old 08-03-04, 12:20 PM

I agree with Tsar.