Reload this Page >

Best Internet provider in NYC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-29-04, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I live in Spain, but I am moving to New York City for a couple of years.

Among the many things I will have to deal with there, I will need to contract an Internet services provider, but I am at a loss about which company I should trust.

I do not need a very broad width band for any professional purposes, just a good, fast and reliable connection for Internet surfing and e-mail.

I would really appreciate any elaborated advise on the matter.

Thanks!

P.s. By the by, I don't know if it would make any difference there in the USA, but I am a Mac user.
Old 07-29-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Time Warner Cable. It's like 5 mbps up and down. It's $50 a month alone or $40 a month if you get it with cable TV service.
Old 07-29-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd go with cable as well. Just about the time Verizon get your DSL line straightened out you'll be packing to go back to Sapin.
Old 07-29-04, 11:34 PM

For the price & servce, I'd suggest RCN Roy_Batty
Old 07-31-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do NOT use Verizon DSL! It's a horrible, horrible service run by horrible, horrible people. They messed up my phone lines so bad that they never really got straightened out until I moved and changed numbers. Now I have Time Warner cable modem and it's great.
Old 07-31-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by al_bundy
Time Warner Cable. It's like 5 mbps up and down. It's $50 a month alone or $40 a month if you get it with cable TV service.
Wow - 5mbps up? That would be amazing.

I love Road Runner, but no way you're getting those upload speeds.
Old 07-31-04, 04:16 PM

yeah, i think Roadrunner caps off at 3 mbps.

the fastest, best bang for your buck i think in the NYC area would be Optimum online from Cablevision. their download speeds come in at around 700 - 800 kb/s. thats double what i get with roadrunner. its a moot point though if you live in an area where time warner offers the cable service though, becuase then your stuck with them.

but being that this guy doesn't really need broadband speeds, i think he should be fine with dsl or even dail up AOL *gasp*
Old 08-01-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Ive had noting but success with Verizon DSL...customer service is good, and DSL (avg. download is 730), local and nationwide unlimited calling is $89 a month.
Old 08-03-04, 11:50 AM
Cool New Member

Another vote for Time Warner Cables Roadrunner. Its like 3MB down and 40KB up. Ive only had a connection problem one time during the three years Ive been using them.
Old 08-03-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use Earthlink through Time Warner Cable and I've been happy with it. I assume it uses the same lines as Roadrunner. They said I could either take Earthlink or Roadrunner as it'd be the same, so I went with Earthlink as they had the best promo. It appears on my Time Warner bill.