semi-remote desktop in win xp

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-29-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question:
Is there a way/program that will allow me to have computer "B" have the same exact Win XP desktop/programs/etc as computer "A"? So, working on either computer would be exactly the same?

Background:
Both PC's are running XP Home
Connected via Netgear Router, sharing DSL connection
Computer A is my "main" computer
Old 07-29-04, 10:09 AM

Do you always want them to stay in sync... eg, if you edit a file on computer A, are you expecting that file to show up on B as well?
Old 07-29-04, 12:05 PM

Yeah, i think..

Basically Computer A is the computer that I use for everything I do - from word processing, internet, music, etc...

Computer B is attached to my home theater... I only use it to play music that is stored on Computer B and some occasional web-surfing.

It would be nice for computer B to just be a "clone" of computer A, but all the original files are on computer A....

does that make sense?
Old 07-29-04, 03:25 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can use active desktop, but I'd just make it so you could use remote desktop and just login to the other computer.
Old 07-29-04, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by duz
You can use active desktop, but I'd just make it so you could use remote desktop and just login to the other computer.
is that a feature of windows XP? or do i need a specific program?
Old 07-29-04, 11:46 PM

Doesn't make sense to me. Based on what you say you'll use it for, I don't see any reason for such a complicated setup. What are you going to be doing that can't be accomplished by simply sharing a couple folders across your network?
Old 07-30-04, 07:15 AM

That is what I do now...
Old 07-30-04, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by jasonr114
is that a feature of windows XP? or do i need a specific program?
Remote desktop is built into XP - doing some digging in the help files should explain it. You can definitely set it up so that you could just log in from the other computer.
Old 07-31-04, 08:59 AM

OK--- i went throught the help files and microsoft website to setup the Remote Desktop... after 30 minutes of fooling around and running up/down stairs to see if it worked, I found out that:

To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:

Windows XP Professional installed on your office computer, or whichever computer you plan to operate remotely. This computer is known as the host.
Unfortunately, I have XP Home Edition of both my machines... any other options at this point?
Old 07-31-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Incidentally, Remote Desktop (previously known as Terminal Services) is probably inadequate if you're looking to actually use another computer for an extended period. I use it all the time to administrate another computer (e.g., to make some changes on a server, or to copy some files), but I can't see using it to write a document in Word. I mean, you could, but ordinary network delays can cause user-interface delays at odd moments - it would be frustrating, I think.

And, yes, you need the server machine to be Windows XP Pro. All XP machines come with the client app, though.

Alternative: You can try a free application suite called VNC. Basically does the exact same thing. I tried it about a year ago, and I remember it being a little clunky, but it's probably improved in the meantime.

Finally, if you have a genuine NT server anywhere, you could have created a roaming profile setup, which exactly does what you need. But it sounds like you don't.

- David Stein