Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best software to back up hard drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-28-04, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 80gb HD, and just got a 250gb which i would like to install. Whats the best way to transfer everything accross? What software do people use to make backups of their hard drives?

Thanks
Old 07-28-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Norton Ghost.

-k
###
Old 07-28-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Norton Ghost.
Old 07-28-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll third the Ghost route.
Old 07-29-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

personally, i'd go with Norton Ghost. to each his own, though...
Old 07-29-04, 09:27 AM

Well i'm afraid i'm going to ago against the flow and go with Norton Ghost. Thanks guys and gals.
Old 07-29-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Acronis Backup 8
I heard it's much better.But since Norton Ghost is a package from Norton Systemworks.I use that also.
Old 07-30-04, 01:19 AM
Suspended

I use Ghost 7, DOS version.
Old 07-30-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just a copy, right? - and we don't need incremental updates, compression, encryption, or support for weird file-system features?

What's wrong with xcopy? Hell, even Windows copy-and-paste would work fine.

If you're looking for synchronization (mirroring the content of one drive to another) - look into FolderMatch and/or FolderClone.

- David Stein
Old 07-30-04, 02:53 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by sfsdfd
This is just a copy, right? - and we don't need incremental updates, compression, encryption, or support for weird file-system features?
It appears he's trying to migrate a drive and maybe his whole system from one hard drive to another.

I would want to know the OS and what's being migrated before I recommended any particular method.
Old 07-30-04, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
I use Ghost 7, DOS version.
The latest version of Ghost is nice cause you can write to NTFS partitions now and you can burn right to CD or DVDs. I've got Ghost included on my Bart PE Boot Disc (do a search, its a great Boot Disc)
Old 07-30-04, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by X
It appears he's trying to migrate a drive and maybe his whole system from one hard drive to another.

I would want to know the OS and what's being migrated before I recommended any particular method.
OS is Windows XP, want to transfer (and also do backups later on) of my entire hard drive. This includes games, pictures, applications etc.
Old 07-30-04, 12:10 PM
X
Administrator

You are also copying your OS over too, right? This isn't a secondary hard drive but will be your primary one?
Old 07-30-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm - I've never had luck moving an OS install and accompanying program suite to a new hard drive. With WinXP, that will be very much harder, I think - it goes further in the direction of locking you out of general-purpose hard drive access functions. For instance, your root directory appears to contain a "System Volume Information" folder, but WinXP will not let you open it.

- David Stein
Old 07-30-04, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by X
You are also copying your OS over too, right? This isn't a secondary hard drive but will be your primary one?

My intial use will be to replace my 80gb with a 250gb. Eventually thou, i will want to back up in case something goes wrong. I've had some problems lately, like system merchanic totally screwing up my system.
Old 07-30-04, 02:14 PM

Put in your new 250GB drive with your 80GB drive.

1. Partition your new 250GB drive. One for OS and one for data
2. Using Ghost create an image of your 80GB drive and apply that image to your new 250GB drive (primary partition). I'd also recommend saving this image onto a DVD or onto a old spare hard drive (Now I know why I kept those old 8GB drives).
3. Remove the 80GB drive and make sure the 250GB drive runs fine.
4. Once your happy, format the 80GB drive and use it for more storage.

Done
Old 07-30-04, 02:18 PM

I've always kept just 1 partition on my hard drives....on the 250gb, i may partition it up. How big to people leave for the OS? 10gb?
Old 07-30-04, 02:42 PM
X
Administrator

With XP you will need some backup/transfer software to copy the OS to a new drive. You might see what the drive manufacturer provides on their website. It might work.

However you may need to clone (disk to disk) your old drive to your new drive with Ghost. I've had login/license problems moving to a new drive by just copying an XP partition, even with Ghost, but I think the cloning method works. You may ultimately need some partitioning software to manipulate your drive to get the correct partition sizes though.

I'm not sure it makes a big difference partitioning your big drive into OS and data partitions for performance purposes. But it does help you in backing up your OS partition with Ghost to the data partition. I find 16GB to be a reasonable size for the OS partition.
Old 07-30-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

of course.. there is always the option of using XP's built in backup software and just make sure to check to have it do a system state backup as well

install xp on the 250gb drive as primary.. then extract the backup (including system state) over it..

ghost is fine too.. if you have a copy..

of course.. personally.. I use times like this to do a fresh setup.. put the new drive in.. install the os fresh... reinstall your apps so that you get up to date on everything.. and use this chance to ditch all your extra garbage.. no chance of losing anything.. because the old 80gb drive would be slaved out anyways.
Old 07-30-04, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
of course.. personally.. I use times like this to do a fresh setup.. put the new drive in.. install the os fresh... reinstall your apps so that you get up to date on everything.. and use this chance to ditch all your extra garbage.. no chance of losing anything.. because the old 80gb drive would be slaved out anyways.
I've got to agree here. You'd be surprised how stuff can add up and little processes that run from old programs which you never use. If you have the time and all the original software I would do a fresh install.
Old 07-30-04, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by breaux124
The latest version of Ghost is nice cause you can write to NTFS partitions now and you can burn right to CD or DVDs. I've got Ghost included on my Bart PE Boot Disc (do a search, its a great Boot Disc)
Why? The version I'm using supports NTFS, and I only use the HD to HD clone feature.
Old 07-30-04, 06:27 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Why? The version I'm using supports NTFS, and I only use the HD to HD clone feature.
Your version can't write a backup image directly to NTFS partitions. Big deficiency that I bought the 2003 version to overcome.
Old 07-31-04, 04:44 AM
Suspended

Again, I don't use the image backup option, I do HD to HD clone backups. I have a couple of HDs just for that purpose.
Old 07-31-04, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
I've got to agree here. You'd be surprised how stuff can add up and little processes that run from old programs which you never use. If you have the time and all the original software I would do a fresh install.
the 80gb is only a few weeks old........so not collected much junk on it yet
Old 08-01-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The version of Ghost I have cannot read or write an image to an NTFS partition. Is this because I have an older version?

How would this work? With Ghost, you need to boot up in DOS and DOS does not recognize NTFS partitions.
How does the newer version of Ghost get around this problem?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.