Reload this Page >

Interesting (disturbing) tech issue

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-28-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My computer generally runs great - like a well-oiled machine, in fact - but it has exhibited one very odd tendency.

I've run across two instances where editing a document in Word or Adobe Photoshop causes the computer to shut off - in the most abrupt way possible. Everything's going along fine, but I hit Ctrl-C to copy something in a Word document, and the computer immediately turns off.

I had to edit a particular Word document - and it kept happening at around the same stage of editing. I was generally doing the same kinds of things each time I edited it (taking out some drawing-object boxes, replacing them with a few lines of border-outlined text - some copy-and-paste operations.) But when I reached a certain page and started editing it, my computer would shut off. There was no particular action that triggered this odd behavior - once I was just sitting there looking at the page, thinking of how to move stuff around, and the computer just turned off.

After lots of research that produced no leads, I dismissed it as just a unique interaction between Word, Windows XP, and this zd7000 notebook. But last week, I was editing an image in Photoshop - and the same thing happened. I had done a screen grab, and when I tried to Ctrl-C paste it into Adobe Photoshop, the computer turned off. I started it up and tried again - same thing.

This problem happens so infrequently (only two occasions in four months of very heavy use and widely varied usage) that I can dismiss it as a curiosity, but I figured I'd raise the question. Anyone have any ideas?

- David Stein
Old 07-28-04, 12:19 PM

I'm just going out on a limb here, but it may have something to do with the power supply unit and/or possibly RAM.
Old 07-28-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Save often!
Old 07-28-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by alex4bball
I'm just going out on a limb here, but it may have something to do with the power supply unit and/or possibly RAM.
Power supply - can't be. This is a notebook, with a battery. It could only be a power problem if it had something to do with the system-powering hardware in the computer, which is probably so far removed from software activity as to be improbable.

RAM - that crossed my mind. My system is running with an extra GB of RAM, purchased from a third-party manufacturer. But it's been through a lot of stress - lots of different high-performance 3D games, lots of memory-intensive apps (Visual Studio) - and it's performed flawlessly, except in a few very bizarre instances.

Given that this seems closely tied to a few functions, it seems like a software problem. And since applications really can't crash a machine this hard, I think it's got to be a Windows problem. After all, both Photoshop and Word editing involve a lot of copy-and-paste operations - i.e., heavy reliance on the system clipboard.

- David Stein
Old 07-28-04, 01:58 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can take out your extra RAM and see if it still happens.

Your notebook isn't getting too hot when you do this work, is it?
Old 07-28-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2256a.htm
Old 07-28-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2256a.htm
You are da man. How did you find that? I did a bunch of searches and didn't run across it.

Many thanks!

- David Stein
Old 07-28-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sfsdfd
You are da man. How did you find that? I did a bunch of searches and didn't run across it.

Many thanks!

- David Stein
That's why you're a lawyer and I am a network administrator

Google - adobe photoshop computer crash

first link

Happy computing.