DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   POLL: what should i do with my ipod? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/376860-poll-what-should-i-do-my-ipod.html)

kevin75 07-27-04 01:32 AM

POLL: what should i do with my ipod?

ok, my 14 month old 15G ipod has seemingly died. everything i have tried to repair it has not worked. i am 99% sure that whatever is wrong with it is a hard drive problem.

that being said, i have found a place that will replace the hard drive for a grand total of $178. i am not skilled enough to perform the repair myself or i might consider that.

considering i can get a new 20G for $300, i am considering trying to sell the old one on ebay for parts and using that money towards a new one. betweeen what i think that i could get for that and the cost of the repair i am thinking that the best bet would be to get a new one.

Sonicflood 07-27-04 07:59 AM

Dell was offering a trade-in program. Not sure if they still are.

If you buy a 15g Dell for $199, you can get $100 rebate from Dell for your iPod. Net cost is $99 for a brand new unit WITH warranty!

Edit: They still are offering the deal. See Here

Sonic

AndyCapps 07-27-04 09:02 AM

Now that's a deal.

Brain Stew 07-27-04 09:06 AM

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Now that's a deal.
Not quite. You have to send it to them and then wait 8 to 10 weeks to receive a rebate check. And of course as with all rebates, Dell is not responsible is it is lost in the mail.

Basically, unless you bought an extra AppleCare package you are looking at ~$200 to have it repaired. For that price you can buy a brand new fourth generation iPod.

jack999 07-27-04 11:18 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems I read a lot of messages about iPods dieing. These are expensive items and many of them don't seem to last two years.

Is everyone satisfied with spending 300-400 bucks on something that doesn't last two years?

Kevin M. Dean 07-27-04 11:37 AM

My ipod has lasted about 2 2/3 years so far with no problems and that's about as old as they get right now since it's the original ipod bought right when it came out.

darkside 07-27-04 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Angell
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems I read a lot of messages about iPods dieing. These are expensive items and many of them don't seem to last two years.

Is everyone satisfied with spending 300-400 bucks on something that doesn't last two years?

I think one of the reasons we hear about them failing and not other players is the fact there are so many millions of them dominating the market.

I know several people with old 5GB and 10GB models that still work fine and still hold a charge.

The ipod not lasting 2 years will depend on you being unlucky enough to get a bad one (which can happen with any electronics) or you not taking care of it. All HD based players have to be treated with care. My first ipod broke, but it was because I took it jogging and biking several times. Not a good idea.