Reload this Page >

Upgraded to XP - Network works, internet doesn't

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-26-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I tried to search but can't look under 4 letters so I am stuck on what terms to use. My desktop is running XP Home. My laptop was 98SE until tonight when I upgraded to XP Home.

I succesfully have the two computers on the network and sharing files etc., but the laptop will not access the internet since the upgrade. Any ideas why? I have Comcast Internet and a 4 port router by (some Linksys offshoot).

I have already powered off the router and rebooted a bunch of times. Any help would be appreciated - thanks.
Old 07-27-04, 09:10 AM
Cool New Member

I assume you were using Internet Connection Sharing to access the Internet connection from the Win98 system? If so, do you have ICS installed and setup under WinXP on that system?

And if I'm wrong about ICS being needed, please forgive me. I've seen it referenced when connecting WinXP and Win98 systems. I don't know if two WinXP systems also use it, or if they share the connection some other way.

James
Old 07-27-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure ICS was needed or not. If it makes any difference I have DHCP enabled and the router issues the IP address. Before the upgrade it was plug in a cat5 cable and you were on the internet.

I could not access any folders on the XP machine from the 98 machine, but could access folders on the 98 machine from the XP one. Now, after the upgrade, the two computers have no issues seeing each other and all shared directories are accessible from either machine , but the recently upgraded computer has no internet.
Old 07-27-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another thing to check is that the Microsoft firewall isn't turned on. Certain setups can enable this and by default, it can be a bit too secure.
Old 07-27-04, 09:57 AM
Cool New Member

I would check the new WinXP system and see if it has ICS installed. If not, I'd go ahead and install it. If it's not needed, it shouldn't interfere, and if it does interfere, you should be able to remove it again.

Also, have you tried simply checking the Help files on the new WinXP system for information about using an Internet connection on another system?

Oh, and the firewall suggestion is a good one. If it's enabled, you could try disabling it briefly and see if that helps. There is probably also a log somewhere showing what it blocked and when. You might look for that and see if there's anything about blocked attempts to connect to the Internet through the other system. You might also want to check for a firewall on the old system. It was apparently working with the Win98 system, but there may be something different about the new WinXP system that's causing the old system to block it.

James

Last edited by JamesJ; 07-27-04 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-27-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you run the home networking wizard? Sometimes that fixes connections, I don't know why, but it does.
Old 07-27-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone - I'll give this stuff a go when I get home. I'm pretty sure I checked the firewall, but I'll check again.

Any other ideas, since it'll be 6 hours before I can try any of them?
Old 07-27-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be interested to know what the DNS server setting looks like on the upgraded PC.
Old 07-27-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Figured it out after a little more surfing. I don't know why, but uninstalling Zone Alarm on the recently upgraded computer and rebooting it did the job. I am behind a router - is the XP Firewall sufficient or is there any others I should look into getting?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
Old 07-27-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nevermind
Figured it out after a little more surfing. I don't know why, but uninstalling Zone Alarm on the recently upgraded computer and rebooting it did the job. I am behind a router - is the XP Firewall sufficient or is there any others I should look into getting?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

The current version of Zone Alarm (5.0+) is very buggy in XP. If you want to use Zone Alarm get an earlier version. I would diable XP's firewall and use Sygate, Kerio 2.1.5 (not the current version). Both have free for personal use editions.
Old 07-27-04, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Why would you need any kind of firewall software if you have a router?
Old 07-27-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MJKTool
Why would you need any kind of firewall software if you have a router?
I dunno - forced habit I guess