Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Transferring files PC to PC

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-26-04, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the most frustrating weekend involving computers. Aside from my parent ill fated attempt at up grading to high-speed internet, which ended with me yelling at a comcast cable techie. My computer's CD/DVD rom drivers decided they weren't good enough and stopped working. Since that computer is not signed on to the internet, because i'm just here for the summer and they have AOL and i had uninstalled the bastard when i went to school. I downloaded a patch for the CD-Roms...on the other computer and i need to know a free and easy way to transfer the file. I DO have a PC to PC connection cord dealie. If anyone can help me i would be forever greatful!
Old 07-26-04, 08:36 AM

Why not burn the files on a cd or floppy?
Old 07-26-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Burning a CD won't work if his CD drive won't read.
Do you have a JumpDrive? How big are the files?

JumpDrives are pretty cheap, handy to have, and the 128 MB ones are pretty cheap if you look around, 256+MB is still a little pricey.
Old 07-26-04, 11:18 AM

Use a cross over network cable. Then just search for other computers on the network, make sure you're both on the same workgroup.
Old 07-26-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.buslink.com/p_cables.asp (requires USB on both computers) Works well. I had ordered mine about 1 year ago fromhttp://www.harddrives4less.com
They have discountinuted the one I have currnetly. It uses its own software and transfers files via a Windows explorer type Interface
Old 07-26-04, 11:36 PM

I live and die by my 512 USB Jumpdrive. Floppy drive on my computer is just for nostalgic purposes.

I'd invest in one. You can get a 128 MB jumpdrive for under 30 dollars these days and you'll learn to love it.

If I have to transfer anything bigger than 512 and I'm not going to burn it on a CDR or DVD-R I'll just take the HD out and put it into the 2nd computer. Takes like 5 minutes.

I suppose if you want to, you could also bring in a cheap hub and make a quick network with some ethernet cable (assuming both computers have NIC cards).

Personally I find the first 2 options quicker.
Old 07-27-04, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I crossed the two computers w/a crossover cable. Now i'm having more annoying problems. Since it's different than before i'll start a new thread.
Old 07-28-04, 02:59 AM

I love how all but one of the suggestions that people have given all require him to buy something when he said he wanted a free way to do it.
Old 07-28-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flyerman85
I love how all but one of the suggestions that people have given all require him to buy something when he said he wanted a free way to do it.
Sometimes free is more trouble than it's worth. What would your suggestion have been?
Old 07-30-04, 02:19 AM

use the crossover cable, easy and quick