Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question Concserning Video cards

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-24-04, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here comes a novice question concerning video cards. I am preparing to upgrade my videocard ( I asked for advice in another thread, thanks to all who supplied info!). My question is, does it matter what the cpu speed when purchasing a video card? I was lloking at the NVidia geforce 6800 ultra and was wonder what specs the cpu would need to be, if any, to properly handle this card? I have a Compaq presario, 2.4 mhz P4, with 768 MB of ram. I have a 15 inch flat panel running 1024 x 768. Will this line of card be too much? Is there a limit to what graphics card I can purchase? Novice question, but I was curious. I don't want to spend money and then find out the darn thing won't work right. Thanks!!
Old 07-24-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From what I understand, that card might be more than you optimally need... but not because of your cpu speed. At 1024x768, you can probably get away with a much cheaper card, and not really have any performance hit.

But, it has been a while since I've shopped for a new graphics card, so I'd get a second opinion before making my decision.
Old 07-25-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For that screensize the card is way overkill, but if you're getting a bigger monitor later you already have a nice card for it
Old 07-25-04, 07:55 PM

But, unless you are buying a bigger monitor within the next year, then it would indeed be way too much. If you plan on staying with the 15" monitor and 2.4 cpu, then a Radeon 9600XT or 9800 Pro/XT would be a great choice.