Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Weird problem when copying a DVD-R disc!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-23-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to copy a 4.22gb DVD-R disc and it said the blank disc doesn't have enough space. And it's just DVD-R to DVD-R. I also tried using another disc to make sure I didn't have a bad disc. Still nothing. Why would it do that??? I also tried making it to a nero image (which amounted to 4.22gb) and I still got the same message when attempting to burn! Anyone know why that would happen?

Last edited by Class316; 07-23-04 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you select DVD-R from the compilation media dropdown list in Nero? I think it's initially at CD-ROM by default which would obviously give you the no-space error. Someone had the same problem in another thread and it seems to be a common slipup (happens to me whenever I redo a machine).
Old 07-23-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nop. I have the propper recorder selected. And it said DVD not CD in the dropdown. But I'll make sure.
Old 07-24-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I tried simulating copying a DVD thatís a bit over 2GB, and it accepted it fine. Then I tried a compilation disc over 4.3gb, and that went fine too.

But when I try to burn the 4.22mb DVD image it actually surpasses the red mark in nero (for some weird reason). And hence why there's "no space".

Then I copied and pasted the Video_TS dir from the DVD to the HD. And I made the new DVD as a compilation by copying over the Video_TS. That copied fine. And it plays on Power DVD.

But does anyone know why, as an on the fly and as a nero image, the disc would not copy?? That is really strange!
Old 07-24-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, the capacity of a DVD +/- R is 4.39GB, right?