Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Maxtor 250GB + IBM 120GB Desktar. Which should be master?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-23-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this Maxtor 250 GB, 8MB Cache, purchased today:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_t...1044//tab_id=1

And this IBM 120GB, 2MB Cache, purchased 2 years ago:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_t...8294//tab_id=1

Which should I place as the master and the slave? It would seem logical to place the bigger, faster 8MB cache Maxtor as the master, but there's two reasons I may not want to:

1) My 2 year old IBM which is the current master has never caused me any problems after 2 years. It's also reasonably quiet.

2) I hear the Maxtor 250GB drives run very hot, and if I place it as the master primary with the OS (win2k sp4) on it, will cause the drive's activity to be non-stop. This would definitely heat it. I have a 2 year old dell with 2 fans in the back, but I don't know if that's sufficient enough to properly cool it.

Perhaps it's best to keep the slower IBM as the master which also contains the OS. Then I'll keep the Maxtor as the slave which will be nothing more than a "data" drive which shouldn't suffer overheating since it will hardly be accessed as much as the drive containing the OS partition.

Please advise which is the preferred method?
Old 07-23-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd put the Maxtor as the primary for performance reasons. But if you're perfectly happy with your OS already on the IBM, it probably isn't worth the hassle to switch. I wouldn't worry too much about overheating.
Old 07-23-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New drives are noticeably faster than older drives, but I wouldn't say that the difference is particularly compelling. If it seems like more trouble to you than it's worth to image your boot drive onto the maxtor, then it probably is.

One thing I would consider is to get a an ATA133 PCI controller and put the drives on their own channels. They're so cheap nowadays, there's almost no reason not to unless you have no PCI slots available. Also, using the new 80 wire IDE cables, you should be using Cable Select (CS). It works well with newer drives and frees you from worrying about master/slave jumper settings.
Old 07-24-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
I'd put the Maxtor as the primary for performance reasons. But if you're perfectly happy with your OS already on the IBM, it probably isn't worth the hassle to switch. I wouldn't worry too much about overheating.
I tried placing the Maxtor as the primary but wasted two hours dealing with numerous errors and possible corruption. I gave up and decided to place the Maxtor as a secondary, logical, storage drive. Part of me is disappointed, but at least I'm done with it. Now I just have to copy my files over.

Thanks for the advice though... both responders.
Old 07-24-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

depends on how you partition

if you dont partition your drives.. I would put the smaller one as primary and load the os there

because the secondary drive is usually going to be used for backup if you have to wipe the first drive

and it only makes sense that you would want the secondary drive to be able to backup everything on the primary.

Old 07-24-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
depends on how you partition

if you dont partition your drives.. I would put the smaller one as primary and load the os there

because the secondary drive is usually going to be used for backup if you have to wipe the first drive
That makes sense. I left the secondary drive as one big 250 GB NTFS partition with 4K clusters. Although there's no way I'll be able to use the secondary 250GB drive to fully backup the primary 120GB during an emergency since both disks' capacities will be nearly 70% used. There's simply no room on the second drive to save the first. At least, not all of the first's.

Since tape backup is too expensive I just have to hope my drives don't turn on me because I have no affordable backup plan whatsoever.

Last edited by cupon; 07-24-04 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-25-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*shiver* IBM deathstar.. Man I had a lot of problems with those..

Hope yours is stable!
Old 07-26-04, 02:00 PM
toq

Originally posted by cupon
I tried placing the Maxtor as the primary but wasted two hours dealing with numerous errors and possible corruption. I gave up and decided to place the Maxtor as a secondary, logical, storage drive. Part of me is disappointed, but at least I'm done with it.
Depending on the age of your machine and specifically your BIOS, could your problem here be the simple fact that machine didn't recognize the full capacity of your Maxtor? I don't believe you should have any problem using it just for storage as long as you using the appropriate version and service pack of Windows.