Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

router access problem?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

router access problem?

Old 07-23-04, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
router access problem?

I have two pcs that are plugged into a Netgear mr814v2 router. The router is attatched to a motorola cable modem. PC1 is running XP home. PC2 was just upgraded to XP professional from Win98. Before the upgrade, both machines could get an ip address and access the internet fine. Both are set to automatically obtain an ip adresss. Since the upgrade, PC1 often loses internet access and cannot connect to the router. Running ipconfig on it returns a message that it cannot connect to the dhcp server. Also cannot ping the router from that pc. If I go to PC2 and access the router, it shows only one device connected (PC2). A few refreshes of the attathed devices page can usually brings PC1 back. I've tried changing the port that PC1 is plugged into the router, and the problem still occurs. Also, rebooting the router has not solved the issue. PC1 has the latest NIC drivers and both have the latest MS updates. Neither has the built in firewall activated (or any firewall installed on them). Wireless access is disabled. Any idea why this shoud be happening?
Old 07-23-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the DHCP service started?
Old 07-23-04, 01:42 PM

Yes. PC2 has no problem getting it's information from the router.
Old 07-23-04, 08:38 PM

Now the local area connection icon has disappeared. The thing is acting like there's no network card in it.
Old 07-23-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you see your network card in Device Manager? Maybe it's time to update the driver or delete it and let the OS redetect it.
Old 07-23-04, 10:20 PM

Nope, it was gone. It looks like I had corrupted winsock and winsock2. I found the following instructions, and I seem to be back up and running now. Thanks for your help:

How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption
To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol.
Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.
Step 2: Install TCP/IP
Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click Have Disk.
Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Restart the computer.