Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

what offers a better dvd picture - Mac powerbook 17" or Sony A series 17" laptop ?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

what offers a better dvd picture - Mac powerbook 17" or Sony A series 17" laptop ?

Old 07-22-04, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying to decide between these 2 laptops. But a major factor for me is which offers a better image quality for watching dvds? thanks
Old 07-22-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powerbook since its widescreen
Old 07-22-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Sony A series is widescreen too @ 1920 x 1200 resolution.
Old 07-22-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would think they both pretty much have the same screen brightness/resolution, so it would probably be a toss up. The question is - do you want a Mac or a PC?
Old 07-22-04, 08:25 PM

I have never used a mac. But I only need internet access and watching dvds. But I assume its not difficult to learn basic buttons on the mac. The Mac looks much nicer and is lighter. But the sony has more pixels. I need the best possible dvd picture of the two
Old 07-22-04, 09:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'd say get the 17" Powerbook. I love mine.

As for PC vs. Mac... I have been using Windows PCs for years. I made the switch to Mac about 4 months ago after getting sick of Windows. I find the Mac to be more friendly, intuitive, stable, ueable... You get the picture. The other thing I like about it is that stuf tends to "just work". XP has gotten better at that, but nowhere near as good as the Mac.

If you have any Mac questions, I'm more than willing to answer them.
Old 07-23-04, 12:36 AM

Thanks Jason! The mac definitely looks sharp. But I do want the opinion of anyone who has done a side by side comparison of the 2 laptops expecially with dvd playing. I dont have any store near me that has them both on display. thanks
Old 07-23-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt you'll find many people who have done direct side-by-side DVD comparisons of the two laptops you're looking at. I am a pure-PC guy and love my Windows 2000, but I have used macs at the computer labs on campus and as long as you're just going to use it for internet & DVDs, a mac would be farily simple to use.

Plus, you said you like the look and feel of the mac, so go with that. I would think the difference in picture is negligible these days with the advanced screens they use on notebooks.
Old 07-23-04, 07:07 PM

thanks Blake! Now , I would like to ask where is a good place to buy either of these for a good price? I am in california if that makes a difference thanks
Old 07-24-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where in cali? You said you're not near anywhere where you can look at both of them you said, so we can rule out Fry's, Circuit City, Best Buy and the like. Not quite sure where else you could go.
Old 07-24-04, 09:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

As far as the Powerbook goes, you should see if there's an Apple Retail Store near you. As far as actually purchasing one, you might be batter off going with some place like MacMall or MacConnection (there are others) because they will almost always have deals like free RAM upgrades, free printer, etc. You might also see if there's an Apple authorized reseller near you as they may have deals line the online stores mentioned, and you'd be able to get it that day.
Old 07-24-04, 07:49 PM

Thanks Jason.

I wonder if the mac has a resolution of 1440 x 900 while the sony has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Doesnt that mean the picture is much better on the sony since it has way more pixels....
1.3 million versus 2.3 million on the sony. Or does that just mean you can open many more windows and see it more clearly??
Old 07-24-04, 07:51 PM

also, how is the battery life comparison on the 2? it seems from what I have heard that the powerbook has a battery life of 4.5 hours while the sony has 3.5 hours
Old 07-25-04, 12:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

On the Powerbook, you might be able to get up to 4.5 hours with very light useage (not much more than email and web browsing). I typically get a little more than 3 hours. If you don't need to use the wireless, you can turn that off and get more life out of the battery. I also got the 5400 rpm hard drive (as opposed to the 4200 rpm default drive), so that could take up some more power.
Old 07-25-04, 12:41 AM

Have you seen the sony's in person? They are HUGE. I'd only reccommend it if you were going to use it mainly as a desktop. If you are planning to lug it around campus or whatever, I'd say skip it. I personally like the Apple better. It may be big also, but to me the weight seems a lot less. Again, 17 inches is a bit large to be carrying with you anyway. If that's your plan, I'd say go with a 15 inch. The screens on the sonys are nice though. They are bright and shiny (lot's of glare though). The powerbooks don't have the shiny screen option, but the screens are still plenty nice.
Old 07-25-04, 06:48 PM

Yea, I think I will go with the mac. I know someone selling the sony 17" for $2200 brand new but the thing weighs too much and I dont like the black color combo with silver. I really like the sleek color of mac with only one shade of silver on it. Plus it is lighter and offers a 17.1 " screen vs 17" on the sony. Its not much but it just looks better. Im basically going to use it for dvd viewing and surfing only.
Old 07-25-04, 06:49 PM

By the way, can anyone explain the resolution difference I mentioned above? thanks
Old 07-26-04, 01:24 AM

Basically, the higher the resolution, the smaller everything will appear on the screen. Since everything's smaller, you can fit more on the screen. It can get a little hard reading text on really high resolution displays though, since the text is going to be smaller. You can, of course, change the text size, but many web pages have their formatting hard wired and this can throw off the look of the page. Personally, I'd prefer the powerbook's resolution to the sony, but some people really like the extra resolution.
Old 07-26-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
definitely go with a mail order company if you buy mac. You tend to save a few dollars, not a lot, but the freebies are nice.

I got 1 GB of free RAM when I bought my G5 back in Jan. Well worth it. And all for a couple hundred less than what apple sells them for on their site.
Old 07-31-04, 02:37 PM

I bought the mac. Can someone tell me how to access wireless internet at cafes, libraries, etc? It says its ready to do that in the instructions. thanks!
Old 08-02-04, 01:11 PM

Also, can someone tell me how to hack the powerbook? I tried playing a region 2 disc and it said I can change the region code only 4 more times.
Old 08-02-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by babka
I bought the mac. Can someone tell me how to access wireless internet at cafes, libraries, etc? It says its ready to do that in the instructions. thanks!
A lot of cafes and coffee houses charge you to use their wireless networks - but if they have free wireless, I would think it could automatically connect - I mean, Apple's are all about simplicity - right? My Dell Axim running Win2003SE can automatically connect at my local bar, so the Apple should too.

Also, can someone tell me how to hack the powerbook? I tried playing a region 2 disc and it said I can change the region code only 4 more times.
Not sure if discussion about this is allowed here, though, if you legitimately own R2 discs, I don't know what the fuss would be about - but try searching google.com.
Old 08-03-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Download the file marked "vlc-0.7.2.dmg" and once it's decompressed, drop it in your applications folder. Now use the VLC application as opposed to Apple's DVD player. This will now allow you to view DVDs from any region without having to resort to hacking your DVD's firmware. VLC

Enjoy the PowerBook.

Old 08-03-04, 11:59 PM

thanks for the tip meritocracy. I see you follow avs forums too! thanks for your help. I just bought the 17" and I can just see in 6 months an 18" or 19" coming out.
Old 08-04-04, 12:37 AM

18", 19"? I doubt it. Damn that would be crazy for a laptop! Remember, the main purpose of a laptop is mobility. A 18 or 19" laptop would weigh as much as a desktop!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.